#17 A Thief - Gadai

I didn't dare look behind me. Instead I watched as Lyle checked the rear view mirror and sighed, indicating to me that the men had given up. My body slumped against the seat and I leaned on the window, my muscles finally accepting the relief that flooded its system. The car was quiet except for our labored breaths, and the sound of my heart pounding in my ears.

I stared at the window blankly. The bonfire outside had grown, Tony must have conceded to Grace's plea and put more logs into the pit. The flames outlined several figures that gathered around the fire. Grace was probably sitting with Tony, by now she would be conducting her socializing from her lawn chair throne. Dania would be helping little kids make her trademark 'double s'more' with two sandwiches stacked on top of each other while Evelyn anxiously showered everyone in bug spray.

They seemed so far away as we traveled out of the parking lot and into the forested drive toward town. So far away that they didn't pay attention to a green hatchback as it spun storms of gravel into the night.

They had no idea - but I suppose in a way I really didn't have an idea either.

I blinked and the scene left my view, bringing my back to reality. My right cheek pressed tightly to the window as I angled my head awkwardly behind me, trying to catch a glimpse of the fire as it disappeared.

My clammy hands clutched the handle and the console next to me. What was I doing in this car?

I was suddenly at a loss, a state of confusion. How had I gotten here? It was all so quick. The men. The tree. Lyle.

I closed my eyes tightly in order to quiet my mind. Marshmallows. What a harmless way for this all to begin. My body jolted forward as if a strike of lightning had hit me between my shoulder blades.

The events of the night poured back into my head, filling me and crowding the space until I felt as if it was pushing everything else out. All snapshots, none in focus ran through my mind. There was no attachment to scenes, it seemed as if I were recalling a movie that I couldn't quite piece together. Then came the feelings. First on their own, fear, anxiety, dread. Then all compiling, attacking, and captivating every corner of my mind. I clutched my head with both hands and bent forward resting it between my knees. I was sure if I didn't physically hold myself together I would fall apart.

One thought rose above the others.

"We have to go back." I panicked, snapping my head up to face Lyle.

How could I have left them? Was I really that self-conceded that I would leave for the promise of answers? Answers for questions that I hardly even knew to ask?

Grace, Tony, Dania, Evelyn, Nora, William, even Mrs. McCarthy. I couldn't leave without warning them. They needed to know that Smith and Jones were dangerous. What if someone else went back to the house to fetch something and found the mess? What stopped them from attacking the bonfire?

I didn't wait for a reply and I reached across the console for the steering wheel.

"Are you fucking insane?" Lyle bellowed as we swerved across the yellow dotted line before she recovered us. Her voice was harsh and abrupt in the otherwise silent vehicle. I flinched away from her, but did not back off.

"There are people back there!" My voice broke and I lunged again for the wheel.

"Quit." Lyle blocked my advance and held up her palm ordering me to stop.

Her action was something a mother would say to a child who'd been fussy all day and had finally wore down her last nerve. Except I wasn't behaving childishly, no I refused to believe that I was in any way overreacting.