1

morning C.H

  I know everything had been weighing down on Y/n lately. And to be honest, if it were me, and my significant other made me go through everything I put Y/n through almost daily, I wouldn't have stayed. I wouldn't have even tried and chose the easy road.

Tonight wasn't anything different. A gathering, if I may call it that, filled with people Y/n doesn't feel comfortable around. Of course, she still had Ashton, Luke and Michael, but they, just as I, had connections to make as well.

So I watch her roam from the corner of my eye. Throughout the year she has gotten to know a few of my friends and she's fluttering between them, chatting them up like only Y/n could.

The complementary alcohol is already loosening me up. That's probably the main reason I don't keep my side glance trained on my girlfriend and also the reason I don't see him walking up to her and trying to flirt with my girlfriend.

It doesn't help either that my ex-girlfriend suddenly pops up in front of me and although my first gesture is an eyeroll, I know it'll irk Y/n seeing her floating around me.

"Ah – Lily. Lovely to see you again." I murmur, keeping my eyes off of her as I scan the perimeter in search for any of my mates to come to my aid.
"Calum Hood. All by yourself, I see? Did you dump the charity case?" There is venom in her voice. I can't blame her. When Y/n and I were broken up, I might've hit her up again. For old times sake.

But I just could not not fight for her. That night with Lily made me realise what I wanted in life.
My hand, curled around a glass of beer, points in the general direction of Y/n's whereabouts. "No. Y/n is right there."

It draws a scoff from Lily's lips. "Of course she is."
I don't listen to a word she says after though. My gaze is trained on Y/n smiling coyly at something he said. She's playing with the tips of her hair and if I didn't know any better I would think she's flirting back. I feel my jaw tense involuntarily.

"I'm sorry Lily but I have to go." I cut her off – probably - midsentence. My pace is brisk; dismissive. I don't want Y/n lingering around him any second longer – but I'm pulled back. As I rear around, I'm met face to face with Michael.

"Don't make a scene, but he was talking about showing her his horses – and you know how much Y/n loves horses." Michael whispers, widening his eyes momentarily as he let's go of my arm. "We're leaving.""Don't get into an unnecessary argument, your jealousy is speaking now. Seriously Calum, simmer down." Michael warns me and I know he has got a valid point, but I just can't take his advice to heart right now. Not while steam is slowly seeping from my ears – metaphorically speaking, that is.

"Y/n, baby. Ready to go?" I let my fingers brush along her back, pressing my lips against her temple – but not before shooting him a glare while she can't see.

"Just a second, Calum. Please." Y/n smiles at me, her fingertips slowly brushing over my inner arm, along my tattoos, as her gaze shifts back to her conversational partner. "So as I was saying, the palomino isn't an actual breed, but determined by their colorization."

I keep her waiting all the time. I promise her in the morning I'll be back before dinner, and then when I come home she's asleep on the couch, waiting for me while dinner got cold. But I just can't wait now.

I am not in the mood to hear her speak about horses, because if he knew how to catch her attention by that – we could be here for the rest of the night. There is only one thing I can do to receive the attention I crave. My hand trails over her ass and I squeeze it once, stopping Y/n in her tracks all together.

"I guess we'll have to continue our conversation another time, Calum does seem tired." She smiles politely, digging her nails into my arm to the point where I have to mask the pain she's putting me through. "Of course Y/n. You have my number, if you want to stop by..." He trails off, leaving the sentence open for interpretation – but I know how to interpret that all too well.

"I'll see you." She smiles again before her nails in my arm force me to walk away with her. She doesn't greet anyone else, she just stomps towards the exit. I angered her – a whole fucking lot.

  The whole ride home – and us getting ready for bed – is swept through in complete silence. It's not until I let my back hit the plush mattress, her voice raises throughout the bedroom.The whole ride home – and us getting ready for bed – is swept through in complete silence. It's not until I let my back hit the plush mattress, her voice raises throughout the bedroom.

  "Y/n – I – I just don't trust him and – " I try to verify my actions, but she's quick to cut me off.

"Don't you trust me?!"

"Of course I do but –"
"There are no buts then. I have no idea what got into your fucking head." She throws her arms up before she drops onto the bed, immediately covering herself. It's quiet for quite some time and I thought she had already fallen asleep.

"Do you really think richer, more charming or even more handsome would drive me to leave you? If so, I would've been gone by morning a long time ago." I don't respond – I can't. She turns and it isn't long before her soft murmurs fill the air, indicating her being sound asleep.

Lately I've been wondering a lot. Would she still be here in the morning? When I open up my eyes, the first thing I do is check to see if she's still sleeping peacefully and soundly beside me. And I feel like I might actually be scared to close my eyes this time.

When I wake, I don't dare open my eyes. Instead, I hold my breath and listen for her soft breathing filling the room. A sigh of relief passes my lips when I hear her, and my eyes snap open to make sure my ears aren't lying. "You're still here." I press my lips against her bare shoulder. 

Her eyes flutter open and immediately follows an eyeroll before she snuggles up closer to me.
"I told you yesterday it's only just us."