Chapter Four ☆

Dawn leaned against the side of Eliza's car, her gaze fixed on her phone screen as the daylight slowly waned, casting a dim glow over the surroundings. 

They were parked near The Strip, a unique mall that differed from the conventional ones, with stores lined up along the street like an outlet. As the night approached, the sight of The Strip transformed into something truly captivating.

Beyond its assortment of stores, The Strip boasted a vibrant social scene, featuring clubs, pubs, and various other hangout spots. Dawn and Eliza strolled along the stone sidewalk, taking in the lively ambiance surrounding them.

Breaking the silence, Eliza voiced her thoughts, her words carrying a tinge of frustration. "I really need some stress relief today, especially after having to endure that tedious SDV class at school. Our mall is nothing like the typical ones, you know? It's like a whole experience, especially at night."

Dawn's attention momentarily shifted from Eliza's words as she became engrossed by a dress on display at Hot Topic. She turned her head back toward Eliza, her voice filled with awe. "You're considering trying out for the VCU cheer team?"

Eliza nodded, her eyes scanning the storefronts. "Yeah, it's something I've been thinking about. New school, new life, you know? I feel like I need to get involved in something."

Dawn smirked, her gaze returning to Eliza. "Come on, Liza. You're not invisible. Sure, you've got that wild, frizzy mane of hair," Dawn briefly glanced at Eliza's hair and then refocused on her face. "But seriously, you have friends. Like Jake, for instance."

A smile crept across Eliza's face as she considered Dawn's words, her mind dwelling on the possibilities that lay ahead.

Eliza's eyes rolled with annoyance as she recounted her past encounter with Jake. He had asked her to the homecoming dance during their freshman year of high school, but his clinginess and desire for a relationship had turned her off. The situation escalated, and he began stalking her throughout their high school years. Eliza had no interest in him now and didn't care to know his whereabouts.

Dawn's voice broke her reverie, "He's no one, Dawn. It's just you and me."

"And? What's the matter with keeping a small circle?" Dawn responded.

They both entered Urban Outfitters, greeted by a friendly associate. Dawn confidently replied, "Great," when asked how they were doing.

"Anything I can help you find?" the associate inquired.

"Nope, we're just browsing," Eliza said dismissively.

The associate, a short woman with caramel skin and a fashionable outfit, continued her duties, well-versed in the world of fashion. Eliza couldn't help but notice her expertise, attributing it to her job at the retail store.

As time passed, the friends had fun trying on clothes, playfully modeling for each other. Dawn confidently strutted out in tiger print joggers and bracelets, her pink hair adding flair to the ensemble.

Eliza emerged from her fitting room, sporting a black t-shirt with 'YOLO' emblazoned across it and a 'BARBIE' beanie. The irony of the hat choice amused her, leading to a genuine laugh.

Through the store's glass, Eliza spotted Eric outside, accompanied by a charming blonde guy. Her curiosity got the better of her, and she discreetly kept an eye on them, trying not to appear like a stalker.

Dawn interrupted her wandering thoughts, "Hey, Liz, I'll be in the fitting room. Gonna try this one," she said, sighing when she realized Eliza wasn't fully listening. "And...you're totally not listening to me. All right then."