Chapter Thirteen ☆

Eliza's fingers fumbled in her messy purse, searching for her keys. Her heart raced as she watched her mom's figure vanish into the shrouded night ahead. Without hesitation, she broke into a sprint, chasing after the fading silhouette. Yet, a movement at the edge of her vision pulled her attention like a magnet.

She halted abruptly, her breath catching as her eyes fixed on the elusive dark figure. It emerged from the shadows and glided onto the road, a silent wraith navigating the asphalt currents. The sight triggered a flicker of recognition deep within Eliza. It was the same figure she'd glimpsed before, back when mermaids attacked her at the beach. An eerie suspicion tingled across her skin – was this the mysterious savior's lingering presence?

Disbelief mingled with her exhale, forming a faint cloud of warmth in the crisp night air. Clutching the strap of her purse, Eliza turned to gauge Miss Canary's reaction. The golden lights were extinguished, and Dawn's silhouette advanced towards the direction her mother had rushed off.

Eliza pivoted to face her friend, her brows furrowed in confusion. Dawn's expression held a mixture of concern and determination. "That's your mom. We need to figure out the reason she's going to that place the lady in the store was talking about," she remarked.

Eliza's voice brimmed with defiance. "That's up to me, not you, Dawn."

Her gaze shifted to the witch store looming behind them, where the trees in the forest rustled as if concealing a secret. When she turned again, the elusive figure was still there, not too far ahead.

"I think there's a mystic around here. I just saw someone running away down the road," Eliza said, eyes narrowing as the figure darted between parked cars. "This seems like witch business. My mom can wait. It's her life, and she can decide for herself. She's hidden so much already..." Her lips formed a resolute line, and from her purse, she withdrew a broomstick. "I'd rather confront a potential mystic threat."

As her fingers pressed onto the broomstick, it pulsed to life, emitting a soft, radiant glow. This was her chance to put her newly acquired skills, courtesy of Jared, to the test. She could feel the transformation within her, waiting to unfurl its full potential.

"Woah, you've definitely got my attention. Where's the mystic?" Dawn's tone carried a mix of curiosity and concern.

Dawn rooted around in her purse for the pepper spray she'd shown Eliza back at home. Her stance shifted, embodying a blend of defensiveness and determination. She brushed her hair aside and then locked onto the figure ahead. Without hesitation, she surged forward, leaving Eliza in her wake. Eliza quickened her pace and called out to her friend.

"Dawn, you're crazy! Get back here!"

In the wild rush of the chase, Dawn's voice sliced through the wind, carrying her urgent concern. "If we don't catch up to it, it'll be gone. What if it kills an innocent?"

Eliza's heart pounded in rhythm with her steps, but she couldn't ignore the truth in her friend's words. "You're being reckless! We can't just charge at a mystical creature," she retorted.

The gnawing need to uncover the truth burned within Eliza. Who was the mysterious savior? Was that water-bound figure truly a witch? Her quest for answers propelled her forward.

Dawn's fiery determination mirrored something darker, more dangerous. Her single-mindedness seemed to crave the figure's demise, casting her in an eerie light.

With newfound agility, Eliza surged onto the street, tailing the enigmatic figure. The cold air stung her lungs, yet she gracefully weaved around parked cars, outpacing Dawn. Vaulting over rocky obstacles, Eliza picked up Dawn's panicked shouts behind her.