Chapter 2:The Water Truce

Shadow's P.O.V. 

     It's been years since there's been a water truce, or so I've heard from stories of elders. As we walked to the watering hole, Mother was talking to Mowgli. Father was talking to other male wolves. My younger brothers were running around chasing one another. 

     Mowgli ran off with my younger brothers. "Mother I'm worried about him. What if he's hurt? And my brothers," I quickly said as Mowgli left her to join with my other brothers. 

     "Trust in Mowgli, and you brothers, dear," mother said. I walked to lake where all the pack was. I started drinking. Then something splashed in the water. I weird sort of man-made contraption. I growled at it. I then realized it was Mowgli another tool he made. He started drinking from that thing

     "Mowgli, what was the rule about your tricks?" Father asked trying to remind Mowgli of the rules. 

     "It's not the wolf way," Mowgli mumbled dumping out the water. 

     "No more tricks. Chin up, little one. We'll make you a fine wolf yet," father said as I nodded proudly. 

     "What about me? Am I going to make a fine wolf? Look at me howl!" exclaimed my youngest brother. Then he howled. 

     "In some packs, the runt gets eaten," Father said, I giggled quietly to myself. An eagle screeched.

     'Wait? It couldn't be!'

     I gasped then commanded, "Mowgli! get behind Father now!" He obeyed and ran alongside my other brothers behind Father. 

     It was him

     I got up trying to assert dominance. I was not letting him get anyone. 

     "Everyone comes to the Peace Rock. So many smells to catch up on," he began. "But, um... I can't help but notice... there this strange odor today. What is it, this scent that I'm on? I almost... I almost think it was some kind of...man-cub," he said I growled even more. 

     "Mowgli belongs to my pack Shere Khan," Father said. 

     "Mowgli? They've given it a name. When was it we came to adopt a man into the jungle?" he said. 

     "He's just a cub," father stated. 

     "Doesn't you face remind me of a grown man can do?" then he showed his face revealing the monstrosity, trying to make others fear my brother. It just reminded me of what he looked like from deep down inside. "Shift your hunting ground for a few years and everyone forgets how the laws works. Well let me remind you. A man-cub become a man, and man is forbidden!" 

     "What do you know about the law?" mother shot at him. 

     "Raksha," father tried to stop mother. 

     "Hunting for pleasure. Killing for power. You've never known law. The cub is mine! Mine to me. So, go back from where you come from, you burned beast!" mother said. He growled at my mother. 

     "Don't growl at my mother. She's right, and unlike her and the rest of my family, you don't have a heart. So, GO!" I said growling. 

     "Be careful Shadow want to make sure you have a mate before this mating season is gone. You wouldn't want to fail like last time."

     I remembered that last year. It was a time for many of the female wolves to find mates. I was lucky I had many, many options. But, all of the male wolves wanted me to be theirs. I was never going to be someone. I wanted to be my own. 

     "Always have your options. For example, Bagheera. I've seen you two were more than friends when both of you were young." 

     I growled at his response. "You don't know what you're talking about!"

     "Oh, really?"

     "Enough! The tiger knows who rules this part of the jungle. I'm sure he doesn't mean to come here to make threats. Especially during a water truce," Father said. Shere Khan looked as if he was about to attack. 

     "No, I'm deeply respectful of these Laws that keeps us safe. So, here's my promise. Nothing lasts forever. The rains will return and the rivers will rise. And when this rock disappears, that truce will end. You want to protect him, fine. But ask yourselves, how many lives is a man-cub worth?" then he left. I can't let him kill Mowgli. No he's my favorite brother. I'll do anything. 

     "Shadow we need to talk about Bageera," father said. He pulled me aside. "Your love him is none existent. You are a wolf and he is a panther."

     "I completely agree. But I have to ask. Where in the Law of the Jungle, does it say I cannot love any other creature but wolf."

     "Those aren't rules. They're common knowledge."

     "But why!"

     "Because you can't have children! Why don't you mate with Jua, he has a fiery spirit to match yours. Or Maji, you both stand firm on political views. Or maybe even Barafu! He's a responsible leader."

     "Those are all great options," I nodded in agreement. "But-"

     "Good," he sighed. "I hope you consider them." He began walking away.

     "But none suit me!"

     "Those are your only options!" he turned around. "You choose one and you'll be satisfied. Please, I'm not doing this for anyone else except you. I hope you understand."

~To Be Continued~

A/N: I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote & comment!