june 7th, 1989 [1]

for eddie, the days seem to pass faster than ever. before he knew it, the last day of school was already over  his head, and now he's in the car driving to some sort of camp. he's never been to this place, but his mom insisted he went.

pretty weird of her. that lead eddie to think that something was wrong, something was going to happen in the small town of derry in the summer of 1989. his mom laughed, calling his thoughts 'nonsense', and now here they were, five minutes away from a campsite completely new to him.

he thought for awhile, for the whole car ride, almost. he thought about the people he would meet, the fun things he would do. but then the worries started showing through. what if he runs out of medication? what if someone, god forbid, steals his medication?

before he could come up with an answer, the car stopped. his mom, just as amazingly as she lifted her fat body in, got out, walking over to the side eddie was on and opening his door. "i love you, eddie! make sure you write to me, and remember that i'm always with you!" eddie looked around at the numerous kids.

his mom pressed a sloppy kiss to his cheek. he acted disgusted, wiping it away, but in reality, it was the only thing keeping him sane. he was going to miss his mother. he climbed out of the car, hugged his mom goodbye, and she drove off.

now it was just him, this weird camp, and the rest of the summer of 1989. 

eddie made his way to the registration table, looking for his name on the list. once he saw it, a tall women smiled at him. "name?" she asked sweetly.

"uh, eddie kaspbrak?" he replied, more of a question as he didn't know what was going on. she got a few things together before looking up at him and smiling once again.

"here you go, this is your schedule and your map of the campsite. on the schedule is your cabin number and roommate, and on the map are instructions for you to get there. have a great time!" eddie nodded, turning around and walking a few steps.

roommate? he had never heard of getting a roommate. he can't deal with roommates, for christ's sake! he searched the paper for this roommate's name, and furrowed his eyebrows when he saw it. stanley uris, it read. he didn't know a stanley uris.

it sounded like a douche-y name, but he shrugged. maybe he could be okay at the least. eddie tried following the map, walking around and sort of finding his cabin? it took a little over thirty minutes, when it was definitely not supposed to, but hey, he made it.

he stood on the step, knocking lightly on the beaten-down wooden door. no one answered. just go in, eddie thought to himself, this is your cabin, you can just go in. he opened the door by twisting the knob, slowly peeking inside.

"hello?" he called out. no response. one of the doors inside of the cabin was shut, and eddie presumed that was the bathroom. maybe someone, maybe this stanley uris, was in there. he fully opened the door and stepped inside, looking around.

there was one neat, tidy bed, with closed stack on top in a folded manner, and there was one empty bed, with only sheets and a comforter. no pillow. of course, eddie hadn't brought a pillow, complaining that it would get dirty.

he sighed, sitting down on the empty bed as he put his head in his hands. he rubbed his eyes with his palms, hoping this summer would go by just as fast as the last days of school did. he sat like that for awhile, until he heard a door open.

he looked over, seeing a boy with wet curls walk out of the bathroom in only a towel covering his bottom portion. he nearly screamed, gasping quickly as his eyes bulged. the boy looked over, shrieking as he held his towel.

"oh my goodness!" the boy with curls had yelled, standing still in place. "who are you?" he said in the same tone, eddie starting to get freaked out. he almost didn't respond.

"i-i'm eddie kaspbrak, your roommate!" he said quickly, the boy, now presumed as stanley uris, sighed lightly. eddie looked at him for a little, seeing that he had a least a little bit of a six pack showing through his skin. he was amazed, he's never seen a six pack on a kid his age.

"you scared me, sincerely," he laughed lightly, his words causing eddie to look back up at his eyes quickly. he tried to laugh along, but it just sounded strained and kind of out-of-nowhere. "anyway, you just got here?" he asked.

eddie nodded. "meet anyone besides me?" he shook his head. "that's fine. we can hang out later today if you want. lunch is in an hour, and by then everyone will be registered." eddie smiled slightly, understanding that he's made a friend without losing one first.

"that sounds cool," he commented, stanley nodding.

"i'm going to dry my hair and change into some," he paused, looking down, "actual clothing. then we can leave." eddie nodded, watching as he picked out a grey and white striped and collared shit, and a pair of loose jean shorts, and walked back into the bathroom to shut the door.

he sat on his bed, deciding he would unpack later, as he smiled to himself in pure pride that he made a friend. maybe the summer of 1989 wouldn't be so bad after all?