Ink

Aelin stepped out the shower, grabbing her towel from the railing to dry her body and hair. She stepped in front of her bathroom mirror with her reflection staring back at her.

The steam in the bathroom blurred the edges of her reflection and she wiped the glass looked at the healed scars on her back she had received from Cairn. There were remnants of the writings but they were married and could not be read.

She had silently wept for the names her beloved had intricately wrote on her back when she had lost them. Rowan had offered to redo it but she refused as it wouldn't be the same. It felt like she had lost a part of her that couldn't be replaced like one does with a broken item.

But she was no item.

She went in hers and Rowan's room to change clothes when a thought had come to mind. Tying up her hair into a high pony and wearing nothing but sweatpants, she headed out the room to find Rowan lying on the sofa.

Rowan sat up at her arrival and looked up and down at quizzically and with a hint of lust, but she was in no mood for that. She sat and faced him with the look she had when she had thought of something that deeply affected her.

Rowan cast aside any thoughts of lust and longing then and paid attention to her.

She opened and closed her mouth before speaking, hands clenching and unclenching, thinking of how to phrase this question

"Rowan. Remember you offered to redo the markings on my back after we had come back and I profusely refused then. But now...," Aelin trailed off.

But now what? Rowan seemed to ask with his eyes.

"I want you to ink me again."

Rowan reached out to hold her curling and uncurling fists that were a touch warmer than how they usually were.

"But not on my back. It has been defiled by that bitch, so I chose another area."

She trailed a path from the top of her neck that traveled down the length of arm that it stopped at her wrist.

Rowan nodded in understanding and kissed her hand.

"What do you want, my love?"

She gave him a smile and said,

"I am going to rattle the stars."