part 15

"Please make it stop." Camila's tears seem to fall even faster in response to my comforting. I pulled her further into my lap, wrapping my arms around her protectively; there was nothing I wouldn't do for her.

"C'mon baby, we're going to be okay." I tried again, rubbing her back as soothingly as I could as she wiped the tears from her cheeks with the sleeves of her hoodie.

"But, we're not," she hiccuped, sniffling a little as she avoided my gaze, "we've been here before." Camila managed to mumble out between all of the sobs escaping her throat. A strange feeling overtook my body at those words that left Camila's mouth. An empty silence filled the room, it was almost as if my heart stopped beating for a second.

"That's just it, Camila." I breathed upon realization. "You're right. We have been here before." My heart rate picked up until it was beating wildly against my chest. "And I need to do something to fix this." Something was calling me away from this spot, from here; from Camila. I quickly got up from where I was on the couch, straightening to look at the door. I took my first step the other way, but Camila latched onto my hand.

"Are you leaving me?" She asked innocently, looking up at me with puffy red eyes.

"No. No, Camila, I wouldn't leave you." I turn to face the girl, lowering myself down slightly. "In every life, I choose you." I leant down to kiss her forehead, giving her hand a tight squeeze. "I'm going to fix this and I'm going to find you. I don't know how but, we'll find a way back to each other, okay? Always." I reached forward to gently cup her tearstained cheek and lift her head so I was looking her in the eyes. She gave me a small nod, almost like she understood everything I had said; even though it made no sense.

With that I slowly let go of Camila's hand, never breaking eye contact. I took steps backward until my back hit the front door; and that was when I finally turned from her to swing the door open and sprint out into the night.

I begged for my legs to go faster and faster and the cold air burnt in my lungs. I ran and I ran until I couldn't see any houses. I ran through the trees until I couldn't see an edge to any forest. I ran and I ran until my legs gave out and fell onto grass.

I let out a small, somehow calm, breath as I raised my vision to be met with a clearing.

When I tilted my head back, I stared up into the words the stars wrote into the sky. The galaxies written above reflected in my eyes and the blue light stained the grass around my body.

I relaxed and let the breeze blow through my body quietly. I did not wish for it to go away, rather I wished to feel everything.

I wished to feel everything, but to feel it with Camila.

The wish swirled around inside of my chest like a fire that could not be stopped. It cultivated and left my body as a loud scream that echoed throughout the night, throughout my ears.

It never stopped.

She screamed.