Chapter 9 - Patrick

I sat in the car for about forty minutes before Nora left the house. I sat up curiously as soon as I saw her, and I watched as she wiped the back of one hand across her eyes. My heart dropped at the sight; I wondered what her father had said to her, and I worried that he was angry, and it was all my fault. I don't know what made me say the things I said about Nora while we were in there, except for the fact that everything I said was true. Something about her just makes me feel brave, like I can do and say anything. Even stand up to her father, if I had to.

She walked quickly towards the car, and when she got close, she looked up at me through the windshield. She gave me a small smile, despite the redness around her eyes, and I calmed slightly. She opened her door and climbed in, letting out a big sigh as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. "How'd it go?" I asked immediately, concerned and curious. She turned her head toward me, and smiled again.

"He's trying to be supportive," she said, "Of course, he wishes we had been smarter about what we were doing, but...he didn't get mad. We talked a little bit about my school, and your shows."

"And?" I asked eagerly, wondering if she would even want to go with me. I had been planning to ask her when we were alone at some point, but I felt like her father had been a little less than enthused that I would be gone for more than half of her pregnancy.

Nora grinned knowingly at me. "He said that's up to us to decide. We can talk about it later, okay?" She didn't seem like she was going to tell me no, and I was eager to sort out the details with her later on. "But he did say that he would help me pay for school eventually. I'll have to figure out how to go to school with an infant at home, but...." She shrugged, sighing again, the stress obvious in her eyes.

"We'll figure it out," I reminded her. "I meant what I said, by the way. About the money I have saved up. I have a few thousand in the bank, and we can use it to get stuff for the baby later on."

Nora stared at me, an awed expression on her face. "Thank you, Patrick," she said quietly. I smiled at her, starting the car.

"Hungry?" I asked, glancing at her as I pulled out of the driveway.

"Starving," she laughed, placing both hands over her stomach again. I smirked and we decided to stop for lunch at a little café around the corner from her house. As usual, I rushed to open her car door for her and we walked inside together. We stood in line to order, both of us staring silently at the menu board for a moment. Once we placed our orders, I led Nora over to a small table by a window, just big enough for two people. We sat and waited, and I started to think about what I was going to say to my parents. Nora watched me curiously, trying to act busy by digging around aimlessly through her purse. I knew better though, because she kept sneaking worried glances at me.

I was staring out the window when she finally spoke. "Hey," she said softly, leaning over the table towards me. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I said softly, "Just nervous."

She gave me a look of understanding, nodding her head. "Don't be, okay? My dad took it a lot better than I thought he would. And no matter how your parents take it...we'll be okay. We'll figure it out," she told me, mimicking my words that I keep repeating to her like a mantra. I smiled at her and she blushed, a light pink color dusting her cheeks.

"Thank you, Nora," I said quietly, just as the barista was calling our names from the counter. Nora started to move, and I stopped her, reaching across the table to place my hand over hers. "I got it," I told her, and she nodded gratefully. I walked up to the counter and grabbed our food, my coffee, and the bottle of water that Nora had bought, then carried it back to our table. She thanked me as I handed her food to her, and she quickly tucked into her meal, as if she hadn't just been sick a few hours ago. I chuckled at her enthusiasm, and she glanced up at me. "Feeling better, I take it?"