Part 22- Learned

Ash's POV

Two weeks later

"I'm never going to get this," I sigh, "I'm hopeless. How do we even know that I can?"

The fireplace roars with oxygenated fire, mocking me. I know how to conjure it, and I've become very skilled at doing so without straining my energy, but putting it out? Thats an entirely different story.

"If you can bring this into the world, you can get rid of it. Believe in yourself, Ash." Steve says, patiently watching me. Since my first encounter with Wanda, I've been training with everyone's help. I want to be more than a destructive force.

I hold my hands out in front of me and take a deep breath in, then out. I focus on my hands, trying to picture my radiative powers flowing out of my palms. I feel my skin's temperature increase, and I know that I'm on the right track.

Suddenly, a green hue spreads across my fingers and shoots towards the fire. My eyes follow my outstretched arms towards the fireplace, and I watch as the flame is surrounded by a green glow. The fire dwindles down to it's coals, with the green hue pressing against it's every surface. The fire is extinguished.

"I... I," I stutter, staring in disbelief. A smile creeps onto my lips.

"Well done." Steve compliments me, patting my back. "Practice that, and maybe you can put out a real fire."

"I could save people..." I mutter to myself, "I don't have to hurt anyone."

"That's right, Ash. You're a good person, and you're going to be an even better hero."

Clint enters the room, looking for something. His gaze meets mine and he smiles. Obviously, he was looking for me.

"Ash! There you are." He makes his way across the room towards Steve and I. His head swivels towards the fireplace, and his eyes widen. "I'm impressed." He smiles, signalling towards the fire.

"Thanks," I smile.

"I've been thinking..." Clint begins to speak.

"That's dangerous," Steve remarks, smirking.

"Shut it, Rogers." Clint chuckles. Clint reaches for my hands and holds them in his, staring down at my palms, He squeezes them gently.

"You have this fantastic power that lets you heat up anything, right?" He asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Right." I agree.

"So, technically speaking, you can heat up specific chunks of air in rooms..." He continues.

I raise my eyebrows.

"And if enough heat is conjured underneath something, that thing should technically be able to... Fly, right?" Clint asks, "I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure heat can do that?"

"I mean, yeah! If I can get the air particles moving fast enough, they should have a big enough atomic force to propel an object in any direction I focus on..." I try to explain my thinking, mostly to myself out loud. I'm not great with physics or anything, but if it works it works... Pete would be able to figure this out easily...

I turn towards a cup of water on a table in the corner of the room. I try to focus my energy beneath the cup, and without any hesitation, the cup floats upwards. I don't know how I never figured this out before...

-

I hang my legs over the side of the fire escape, looking out at the city below me. New York is the biggest city I've ever seen. Even at 10pm, flashing lights cover the city streets and people mutter about doing all sorts of things.

Watching it all from above is very surreal, but also very lonely. I feel like I'm watching everyone else live their lives, while I'm stuck here, trapped in my own little world.

But I can't live a normal life. Not anymore.

With great power, comes great responsibility. Pete taught me that.

I watch the people below hurry past one another, until an odd encounter catches my attention.

A girl, around the same age as me, walks down the street with her arms crossed over her chest. Her head is facing down and she huffs and puffs.

Behind her, a boy runs up towards her, trying his best to catch up. He reaches an arm out towards her and grabs her arm. She spins around and pulls away.

She yells in his face, tears streaming down her cheeks. I can't quite hear what she's saying.

He runs his hands through his hair, distraught and stressed. Tears seem to be covering his cheeks too.

All of a sudden, the two of them kiss. He holds her close to his body and she wraps her arms around his neck. I smile watching the two of them.

I wipe a tear from my eyes, a tear I never realized was forming. I'm happy to see the two of them work things out, but I feel a great sense of envy. I huff and pull my legs up, turning to go back inside.

"It sucks." A voice startles me, and I have to catch my breath.

"You scared me." I breathe heavily, finding Steve standing in the fire escape behind me. "What does?"

"Seeing other people happy while you can't be." He shrugs, sitting next to me.

"How would you know?"

"Because I lost everything when I went into that ice Ash, everyone I knew and loved lived their lives while I was frozen. Don't act like you're the only person here who's lost something they care about." He speaks, looking out over the city. He doesn't make eye contact.

"I'm sorry..." I mutter.

"It's alright. See that alley over there?" He points down towards the street. "I used to get my ass kicked every weekend there."

"How's that?"

"I wasn't always like this, a soldier I mean. We're a lot more alike than you think, kid." He smiles. Absentmindedly I find myself twiddling my thumbs.

"I want to be like you. I want to try to save people." I blurt out, Steve's eyes brightening.

"I know, and you will."