Part 26- Brooklyn and Queens

Ash's POV

I open the door to the roof of the apartment building and the cold wind hits me immediately. Shivers run up and down my spine, causing goosebumps to form on my skin. Never the matter, I warm myself up easily.

Flying over the Brooklyn skyline, the late night city is in full boom. It's a Friday night, which means that lights are flashing, music is dancing through the air and people are everywhere. Watching over the people of New York has given me a new purpose, and I really enjoy it. I'll never forget the faces of the people I've personally saved. Only a few months back, I helped a little girl from being kidnapped by a psycho on the street. I'll never forget her beautiful little face and the smile she gave me when I picked her out of the man's arms and placed her safely back into her mother's.

"If I could fly, my job would be a lot easier." A voice speaks from behind me. I spin around and find Spider-Man on a rooftop just below me. I flew all the way to Queens and didn't realize it.

"Sucks to be you, then." I chuckle, landing on the rooftop next to him. He walks over to the edge of the roof and sits with his legs over the side, and pats down on the seat next to him. I follow hesitantly.

"We haven't ever really talked." Peter blurts out as we both stare over the Manhattan skyline.

Oh, if only you knew. "Guess not." I lie, shrugging lightly.

"I'm fifteen, I like Star Wars, and I'm a secret super hero." He turns towards me, and even with the suit covering his perfect face, I can tell he's smiling.

"I'm also a secret super hero." I smile. "I like vanilla coffee and pizza, and watching Keeping up with the Kardashians."

Peter sighs and stares out at Queens. His eyebrows knit together as he thinks about something.

"Who are you?" He asks suddenly.

"A-Angel, you know that." I stutter. I realize that I may have said too much. I definitely did.

"No. You're lying to me." Peter reaches up to the back of his head and takes his mask off, and finally his face is revealed. Dark circles are formed under his eyes and his skin is pale, as if he hasn't been eating or sleeping well at all. He glares at me, and a snarl comes across his lips. "Take off your mask."

"No..." I say, standing up from sitting and backing away from Peter.

"I'm Peter. But you already know that." His voice is coarse, and while angry, also shaking. It's hard to know if he's about to cry or scream. "Ash..."

I reach my hands up to my cheeks and slowly pull my mask off. The cold night air hits my face and my hair flies back, revealing my entire face and neck. I can't hide behind my crimson hair or my suit, Peter can see who I truly am.

"Peter..." I croak. Tears swell in my eyes.

"What happened?" He stared down at the ground, not making eye contact with me.

"I-I had to leave. I didn't mean to start that fire, I'm so sorry I hurt you. I'm so, so sorry." I cry.

"You think I'm mad about the fire?" Peter raised his eyebrows. Anger radiates from his every feature.

"I..." I hesitate, "I know you're mad about-"

"No! No, you don't know. You left me after everything we did and everything we went through together, and you left me that fucking video USB and told me you never wanted to see me again? How the fuck am I supposed to feel? I hated you. I HATED you. And now you're trying to just walk right back into my life like nothing happened?"

"No! That's not what I'm doing. I-I changed. You turned me into this, this super hero. I wanted to be like you, because I love you, Peter. I'm here trying to make up for everything I've done wrong. I know that I hurt you, and I understand if you never forgive me."

Peter closes his mouth and stares at me. His brain is probably moving a hundred miles an hour, trying to sort through all of this drama I've put on him.

"I don't know." He firmly states, then runs to jump off the side of the roof. He's never going to want to see me again.

"Peter!" I call after him, but he doesn't answer. He's gone.