Blackberries and Chickens: Part 1

The bushes are a dark bottle green and lie in a tangled heap, but in between all the leaves, I can see ripe black and purple berries. I reach in between the tangle of thorns and leaves to pick the best looking berry I can see. I put it in my mouth and it bursts into an explosion of flavor. I begin picking more and soon my hands are bright purple.

'Hey'

I jump and look around to see dad emerging from a doorway covered in vines and almost completely disguised. Coco is just behind him wagging his tail.

'Look what Coco found' he says, holding out his arms.

I look at what dad is carrying. It's brown and feathery.

'It's a chicken!' I shout, sending Coco into a frenzy; barking and rushing around.

'Yes. Nearly ate her, didn't you, you silly dog?' he says patting Coco.

'Can we keep her?'

'Sure. Go inside and get some bread. We'll need to get some proper food, but for now, that should do'

I run back towards the car out the front, past Katie and mum.

'Whoa, what's got you so excited?' mum asks.

'Dad found a chicken and he said we could keep it! Do we have any bread?' I say, my words toppling over each other in the rush to get out.

'Yeah, in the back of the car' she says, laughing at my smile that's so rare these days.