Friends and Bullies: Part 1

'Olivia! Olivia, wake up! It's time for school'

I roll over to see mum shaking me.

'Come on! Get up, get dressed' she says.

I shove the covers off and the cold hit me like a ton of bricks. I practically drag myself to the bathroom and jump in the shower, trying to ignore the fact that it will be freezing when I get out.

When I get out I grab some jeans, a t-shirt and a sweater. I leave my hair out but put a hair tie around my wrist just in case.

When we arrive at school I'm shocked by how big the place is. There is so much space. The buildings are modern and the basketball courts look brand new. The reception has, what I think is supposed to be, calming music playing. It's neat and organised with comfy chairs.

'Hi, how can I help you today?' The lady in reception asks.

'Hi, I'm Olivia Plant. I'm starting here today'

'Oh, yes! Here's your name' she says, smiling 'You'll be in room 16 with Mrs Mac. It's just down by the big gum tree at the bottom of the hill'.

'Thanks'

It's easy to tell which tree she's talking about. It's far taller than any of the others. The classroom near it is made of grey brick and has a black door. The desks inside already have students seated at most of them and are arranged in small clusters. I find one without anyone at it and sit down, open my backpack and take out my drawing book. I like to draw in it when I'm by myself. No one else has ever seen inside this book, and I'd like to keep it that way. Some secrets should stay secret. A group of girls walks into the classroom; they're all wearing ripped jeans and t-shirts. I take a pencil out and put my head down; the last thing I need is to be the cause of any gossip.