19

Meadow

I woke up with the biggest headache. Slowly opening my eyes, I flinched when I saw the blinding white lights. It felt like I've been hit by a truck.

I laughed a little at my fucked up life. My life is a joke and I'm convinced the universe is laughing at me. If this was a show, it would get so many views.

After being in my own little world. I strained my eyes trying to look out the window.

Where is my grandmother?

She probably went to get some food.

I relaxed a little, calming my nerves. She probably got hungry and went straight to the cafeteria. I could imagine her being impatience waiting at the elevator doors. Tapping her feet, pushing the buttons when it clearly says don't push the button multiple times. Demanding for the elevator doors to open.

Looking looney, while everyone give her a sympathetic smile. Making sure her rage doesn't turn on them.

I chuckled slightly at the imagery. My stomach growled at the mention of food.

However, my smile dropped when I saw Hazel. She looked like a million bucks, unfortunately all I could see is her ugly personality.

"Sweetie are you ready?"

Now I was confused.

"What are you doing here? Where is my grandmother?" I strained my neck trying to look behind her to see if I missed my grandmother walking in.

"Meadow baby, you're coming home with me. Something happened to your grandmother." She said the words slowly but I wasn't comprehending what she was saying.

"The fuck are you talking about Hazel!?"

Her demeanor changed.

"Watch your fucking mouth! I am your mother" she said sternly.

"Since when." I shouted in response.

"Your grandmother is dead." She said breaking down, changing the subject quickly.

I went ballistic.

"YOU LYING BITCH! WHERE IS MY GRANDMOTHER?" I said jumping up, dismissing the pain.

"Meadow she was found with multiple stab wounds, she-" She tried to reach out to me, maybe to console me but her touch was foreign.

"Don't touch me!"

I was having trouble swallowing any of this information. It wasn't adding up. God can't be punishing me like this.

"Where is my grandmother?"

"She's gone."

"Where is my grandmother?"

"She's in heaven sweetie."

My shoulders slumped. I don't know what I expected for her to say. I sat there crying with my head down.

Staring at the floor as my tears soaked up my hospital gown.

"Where is my grandmother?" I said barely above a whisper. My heart was hurting and I didn't know how to handle it.

"It'll be okay, but she's not coming back."

I felt like my heart just got ripped out of my chest. I felt so naked and alone. I felt like my life just crashed and burned. I felt like the world was against me.

Why me?

"Meadow it's okay, I'm here now."

"Now! You want to be here now!" I stared at her in disbelief.

"I went through hell because of you and my father. You guys killed my child hood. I grew up the way that I did because of you." I said softly trying to get my thoughts in order.

"Baby I just want to make the pain go away."

"Yeah, the pain you caused."

"I just want to be your mother Meadow."

"I'm sorry but it's too late for that."

"You never looked at the story from my perspective! You don't understand what it was like for me to walk away from you."

I looked up to see her crying. Maybe she has feelings after all.

"I wanted to be there for every step baby, I wanted to hear your first words, see your first step, I wanted to be there for the boy talks."

I just looked at her with a wide eye expression. Not sure how to react.

"Life with me and your father didn't work out and it was messy as hell. When I found out about the whole plan I didn't know how to react but he told me everything will be okay." She said scoffing at the thought.

"He was my everything, then he turned around impregnated someone. Stole my identity and ran off with her."

I could see the emotion in her face. She really did love my father. Wait did she say impregnate?

"So that daughter of his is not yours?" I asked getting more confused.

"Hell no! That little devil we had a boy." She said, her facial expression matching mine.

"He said... he said that was y'all daughter."

"You didn't meet your brother?"

"I have a brother?"

"He wasn't in the house!?" She said panicking.

"No, calm down-"

"Where the fuck." She said stopping mid sentence to collect her thoughts.

"All I wanted to be is a good mother, I swear. Where could he be?" She said looking to me for answers.

"I guess there's only one way to find out."