20

Meadow

It was weird hanging with Hazel. We seem to act alike but every time I try to have a conversation with her, I get angry and sarcastic.

When I was released from the hospital I was numb to everything. I was slowly being pushed to the outside world and all I could think about is my grandmother. I didn't want to continue, every time I tried I had to deal with more bullshit.

Grandma's gone.

Shiloh is dead.

Hazel is a liar.

Amir is no better.

My shoulder slumped with defeat. I was drained. My clothes draped on me as the turn of events took a toll on me. There was no up from here, I was slowly sprawling out of control.

"Meadow are you okay sweetie?" Hazel asked with a lick of concern.

"Do it look like I'm okay?" I responded, my eyes were bloodshot red from crying all night and lack
of sleep.

"It'll be okay, I'm here now." 

I stared at the ceiling too exhausted to argue with her. She kept repeating herself. I don't know if it's to convince me or herself.

"Hazel that's nice."

"I am your mother, you should call me mom."

"I don't even know you."

That hurt, I could tell. She winced like I cut her deeply. I didn't enjoy seeing her in pain but the truth hurts.

"Look I'm not trying to be a bitch but for sixteen years I thought my parents were dead, only to find out that y'all are twisted as fuck. I cried every night because I was the only kid in school to lose both of her parents and not only that I seen people get killed."

"But-"

"Nah I'm talking, you listen. It's too late for us to have that mother and daughter bond."

She cut her eyes at me, making mental notes. When we finally reach the car, there was an unexpected visitor.

"Hey sis."

It was the one and only Mia Brown. Another crazy motherfucker that I call family.

"Mia when did you get out!?" Hazel said. I could hear the panic in her voice.

"The other day and I had to travel all by myself. Shameful, but you know what really piss me off." She said grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

Hazel didn't move an inch. She just glared at her, waiting for her to finish her sentence.

"I see on my mothers door an eviction notice, and not only that my mothers in the hospital because she was stabbed! And here you are not doing shit but ruining your child even more."

I was too tired to respond but I agree.

"There's nothing to be done! I have to take care of my child since ma is not able to."

"Who stabbed ma Hazel?"

"I don't know! You think if I did know I'll be talking to you?"