Chapter 5

"Go faster, Nathan!" I screamed loudly at him.

"I'm going as fast as I can," he replied with a grunt.

"Yes!" I shouted in delight.

Exhaustion filled my body and I dropped to the floor with a slight smirk when I saw that I won three times in a row.

"That's not fair. You cheated," Nathan groaned.

"I did try to help you, but I won fair and square. You just suck at playing sword fighting." My voice was filled with smugness.

Nathan threw the Wii remote on the couch and grumbled, "I'm going to use the bathroom."

I nodded as I watched him enter my bathroom, my eyes zooming in on the hard ridges of his muscular back.

My thoughts are interrupted when I heard my mother loudly screaming my name and yelling curse words.

"Delilah, what on earth is going on in there?! I heard thumping and screaming. I hope you're not—" My mom barged into my room and froze when she saw me sitting on the floor.

"Oh, hi mom," I waved at her.

She looked around the room and asked, "Where's Nathan?"

"He's in the bathroom. Why?" I stared at her questioningly.

"I thought you two were...you know what? Never mind."

"What? You thought we were having sex. It's okay. You can say it," I laughed. "But weren't you the same one who said 'use a condom' yesterday?"

My mother narrowed her eyes at me. "I know what I said. Anyways, we have something important to discuss."

"What is it?" I asked just as Nathan came out of the bathroom.

"Tonight's a full moon," my mother said and awaited my response.

"And?" I just stood there staring at my mother with a blank expression. What was so important about tonight's full moon?

"Please don't tell me you forgot," my mother sighed.

"Forgot what?"

"What I told you about full moons. Particularly the one that will occur on this night," she groaned in exasperation.

"I probably wasn't paying attention or I most likely forgot. It's as simple as that. Now, please remind me what's so important about full moons."

My mother sighed in annoyance before saying, "Every century, the blood moon occurs. It is said that this moon will attract special wolves."

"Continue," I exclaimed.

"The blood moon is very alluring. It will wreak havoc on your emotions, but it will also give you powers."

"I don't see anything wrong with having super cool powers," I laughed.

"They are not just cool powers. The moon will give out a tremendous amount of energy which will make the powers extremely dangerous if one doesn't know how to control it. Your father and I can't take that risk with you, so we're going to have to lock you in the basement," my mother explained.

I opened my mouth to protest but she cut me off.

"No arguing. The energy will be powerful. It's important that you don't make contact with the blood moon. If you look at it, it will generate your powers and that will be a bad thing."

I sighed in frustration, "Why is it a bad thing? They're just powers!"

"Did you not hear a word I just said?!"my mother gritted her teeth at me. "These powers will have a huge impact on both werewolves and humans and you may end up hurting tons of people. You won't be able to control them."

"I would never hurt anyone," I shook my head frantically.

"You may say that now, but there's no saying what you will do when you encounter these powers. We have no choice but to detain you until the blood moon passes. You will feel the need to go outside, but you must not. You cannot give in to the moon," my mom exclaimed as she pointed a stern finger at me.

"Well, this is a lot to take in," I sighed as I ran a hand through my hair.

"There is nothing to worry about. Besides, Nathan will be with you throughout the entire night." My mother turned to Nathan and gave him a look.

"I won't leave her side," Nathan pulled me into his side and placed a chaste kiss on my cheek, causing them to turn a deep shade of red.

"How sweet of you," I said in the sweetest tone ever.

"Really?"

"No," I glared up at him and said.

Nathan narrowed his eyes at me, "Are you serious?"

"Relax. I'm kidding," I grinned up at him.

"Delilah."

"Yes?" I looked towards my mother once hearing my name but was only met with silence.

"I didn't say anything," my mother replied.

"Someone just called my name," I frowned as my eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

"It's already begun. That was the moon whispering to you. You two should get going to the basement," my mother rushed out as she pushed Nathan and I out of my bedroom.

I went silent as my thoughts went wild about how tonight would go. I couldn't shake the feeling that tonight would be very long and interesting.