Chapter 26

I jumped back in fright upon seeing her, "Christ, what the hell, Crystal?"

"Where were you? Everyone was worried sick looking for you. Don't even get me started on Nathan. He practically went ballistic when he found out you were—" Crystal began rambling but I put up a finger and silenced her.

"I saw you. Who were you talking to back there?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

"No one," she replied, her face not giving away any kind of emotion.

"Are you sure? Crystal, you can talk to me," I reassured her.

She hesitated for a bit before saying, "My mother. My training didn't go that well and my brother wouldn't give me any space so I had to come out here for some privacy."

"Oh," I frowned. "What happened at training?"

Crystal sighed, "I'll explain everything later, but you need to get back at the house. Your grandmother and Nathan are extremely worried."

"I know," I nodded as Crystal and I began making our way back towards the house. As soon as I entered I saw my grandmother speaking over the phone quite aggressively. She stopped speaking and her eyes immediately snapped towards me as I walked into the house.

"Forget it," she barked into the phone before rushing towards me and engulfing me into a bone-crushing hug.

I wheezed as she held on to me tighter, "Need air."

"Oh, where the heck did you disappear to? I was worried sick! I thought something terrible happened—"

"Relax. I'm fine. I'll explain everything, but I need to speak with Nathan first. Do you know where he is?"

My question was answered when I smelled his lovely scent. I turned away from my grandmother to see him rushing down the steps and coming towards me.

"Delilah," he breathed out, pulling me into a warm hug.

I smiled as I melted in his embrace, feeling so comfortable pressed up against his body. His face was buried in the crook of my neck as he held on to me tightly, afraid that I might disappear into thin air again.

"What happened?" He pulled away, eyes roaming my body and checking for any injuries.

"Let's go somewhere private," I replied.

Nathan nodded before taking my hand in his and pulling me upstairs towards his office. Once we were inside, I explained everything that happened as Nathan listened, making sure to not leave out a single detail.

"There are more of your kind out there?" Nathan asked once I finished explaining everything.

I nodded my head, "Yes. There's a lot I have to ask my grandmother now."

"You know you scared the crap out of me," Nathan spoke softly as he cupped my face, gazing deep into my eyes.

"I know and I'm sorry. I couldn't control what happened, but don't worry. I will keep practicing my powers until I get the hang of it."

Nathan smiled before placing a kiss on my forehead, "Good."

A sudden knock on the door had me turning my head towards the door to see my grandmother peek her head inside.

"Sorry to interrupt your little reunion, but I need to have a word with Delilah," Esme announced.

"Ditto," I stated as I turned towards Nathan. "I'll be back later."

I watched as Nathan nodded his head before leaving the room with my grandmother. She then led me to her office, shutting the door behind her once we both entered.

I wasted no time in explaining everything, eager to start getting some answers. Once I finished explaining, Esme sighed deeply.

"Your mother is a fool for wanting to keep this whole witch thing from you, for keeping you in the dark all these years. I tried to reason with her but she wouldn't listen to me so I decided to take matters into my own hands," Esme began.

"Is my mother a hybrid?"

"No. My mother, your great-grandmother, was a hybrid. For whatever reason, it skipped me and your mother and was passed on to you."

"Why didn't my mother want you in my life?" I was curious to know what was so bad about my grandmother that my mother didn't want her apart of my life.

"I don't know her reasons behind that, but it's safe to assume that she feels being a witch is bad and will only bring harm, and she doesn't want that for you. But if I didn't come into your life when I did, you would be lost. I wanted to help you with your powers and prepare you for what's coming."

"My vision..." I trailed off as I frowned.

Esme placed her hand on top of mine, making me look up to see her staring at me with a determined look in her eyes. "Which is why when that day comes, you need to be prepared. I will help you master your powers."

I sighed before nodding, "I'm ready."

I was willing to train and work hard in order to defeat this threat and protect Nathan. This unknown Siren had another thing coming if she believed she would come between me and my mate.