Chapter One

----

Hallie's Point of View, now.

I sat on my laptop, rewatching my latest YouTube video. "Okay, the question of today: What is your favorite Avenger? Y'all know I adore the Hulk, but what about you? Lemme know below!" I crowed, pointing to the bottom of the screen. "Oh, and today's fanart was sent in by Bradfordbadboi01." A drawing of me, dancing like a crazy person with Tyler Oakley, a throwback to our last collab, flashed on screen. "Thanks Triple B! Remember to subscribe and like!" The video ended after a few seconds of promos for my previous videos.

I was scrolling through the comments, reading both love and hate messages. I always seemed to get more hate than any other YouTuber.  I felt my eyes begin to water. My right hand gently gripped my left wrist, a nervous habit. I could feel the bumps lining my wrist, scars from a few months before. I sighed, turning off my computer, and sliding back into my bed. I reached over, flipping off my lamp, and closing my eyes to sleep.

 The next morning, I woke to my phone's alarm going off in my ear. I groaned, smacking the snooze on the notification. Just as I had gotten comfortable, the alarm went off again. Only, you know, twelve times. The last time, I spotted the actual time. I was almost late. I sat up, quickly putting on Pandora. I slid out of my bed, and stumbled over to my closet.

 I tugged the door open, throwing out a plaid button-down, and a pair of suspenders from my large selection. Then I stumbled to the other side of my room, pulling open one of the drawers of my dresser. I pawed through the drawer, before pulling out clean underwear, a random tank top, and a pair of ripped skinny jeans. 

 I tugged the tank top on - it turned out ot be black- and threw the oversized plaid shirt over it. I rolled up the sleeves, tugged on the jeans, and grabbed my black hipster glasses (yes, I'm cool. Not. Honestly, the style just looked cool on me,) from by my bed. I simultaneously shoved them onto my face, and snapped on my favorite black suspenders covered with fandom pins. I turned Pandora off, and shoved the phone into my pocket. I sighed, walking outside and locking the door.

 I raced down the street, suddenly thankful that I lived about two blocks from the bookstore where I worked. I raced into the store, sliding into the staff room and punching my card in. My best friend, Airalynne, stood by the door, smirking at me.

 "Geez, Hal, you were a minute away from being late," she laughed, "Cutting it close, are we?" I rolled my eyes, quickly putting on my nametag. We walked out to the Customer Service desk, plopping down on the stools behind the desk. I flipped open my book, propping up my elbows on the counter. I read in peace for about five seconds, before Air cleared her throat. I looked over the edge of my book, raising an eyebrow.

 "Yeees?" I asked her, sending a slight glare her way.

 "Loved your video last night," she announced, pulling herself onto the counter, and crossing her legs. "But, did you have to remember that I was part of the Avengers group we made?" I laughed a bit at her indignant expression.

 I nodded. "Well, let's see, you're my best friend, so yeah. I did." She stuck her tongue out at me.

 "So did you here the latest an greatest from Rosanna?" Airalynne asked a few seconds later. I thought for a moment, trying to remember the last time I had talked to Rosie. She was the "girly gossip girl" in my group of friends, and my other best friend besides Air. Finally, I shook my head, having not really spoken to her in a few days.

 "What's the newest news?" I asked as I joined Air on the counter. I crossed my long legs. Our manager, Linda, walked past, but instead of getting mad, she smiled and waved at us. This is why I love my job.