Chapter Nine: Truth

"Jungkook?"

"Hm?"

"So you're a demon?"

"Yeah."

We're walking along the sidewalk, passing by local bakeries and bookstores, holding hands.

"Are you gonna explain it to me?" I say with a laugh.

"Well, I don't know where to start." He chuckles, doing the slight cock of his head that he always does.

We walk into the cafe, and after ordering our drinks we sit by a window, and I'm nervous but excited at the same time to hear everything.

"This is gonna be an entire life story, and a little cheesy, but that's okay right?" His bunny teeth show as he smiles awkwardly, and I only smile warmly back.

I wrap my hands around my cup, and he begins.

"I'm not fully demon, I'm only half. My mother was human.

She died trying to protect me, and I think that's part of the reason why my dad favourites my brother, because I was the reason the love of his life left the world.

The main thing that demons do is kill human beings. Once we become of age, we are all assigned one human to murder. Once we've done the deed, we're just assigned the next person, and so on until we die."

I'm frowning.

He's killed people?

"We have weapons that get rid of the evidence, and we can make it look like an accident. But after I met you, I realized how awful it is. I realized that this is wrong, that you guys don't deserve this.

Yes Y/N, I've killed people. And because my dad is the ruler of our world, I'm assigned more people than average, because my brother and I are more skilled than others.

The six boys that I live with are demons too. They're all older than me, but their families are just below royalty, so we've always been close."

That's a lot to take in.

I'm a little overwhelmed.

"Okay... so then does this link to the reason why you disappeared for a month?" I ask.

He nods.

"My dad has this way of telling me stuff inside of my head. He can tell me where the person I'm assigned to kill is, and if he's angry with me, he creates this enormous headache that forces me to go to the Underworld and see him.

When I realized I liked you, I couldn't bring myself to ever leave your side, so I didn't go there for a long time, until the day before the presentation.

The reason you had to leave my house that day was because I hadn't obeyed my dad in so long that he sent my brother to come get me.

He......"

"He...?" I'm scared.

"Knocked me out and I woke up in my dad's office."

I gasp, the thought of Jungkook hurt makes my stomach churn.

"He abused me, and threatened me that if I don't leave you then he's gonna send my brother out to kill you. So I needed you to hate me. I knew that if I left you to do the presentation by yourself, you would be mad at me, because I knew how much you hated it, and I knew about your anxiety. I didn't go to school for a month, until you showed up to my house yesterday, and now we're here."

I pause.

"So I'm gonna be killed by your brother now?" My heart beats a mile a minute.