Sorry

Summary: Hanson/Booker oneshot

Characters: Tom, Dennis
Possible pairing: None
Genre: Friendship

Tom Hanson was more than glad he had gotten his badge back as well as his work at the chapel, but when his eyes found the empty desk across the room he felt his happiness slowly drifting away, getting replaced by a mixture of sadness, guilt and sympathy. His dark orbits traced the letters on the label laying trashed in the bin.

It took a few moments for the decision to form in his head before he stood up. He took the label putting it in his pocket on his way out of the building. He got into his car and hit the gas heading for a destination he never thought he'd ever go back to. Once he reached the place and climbed up the stairs he found himself a bit nervous remembering the first time he went there. He practically broke into the apartment desperate to prove its owner guilty of racism and rape. And now he was here to apologize and offer his friendship. Oh, the irony. He lifted his fingers and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?"

"Hanson."

Tom heard the door click open and he found himself face to face with a shocked Dennis Booker on the other side. Headphones hanging around his neck and dressed only in muscle top and shorts he gave out the look of someone who didn't expect visitors.

"What on earth are you doing here?" Booker asked but moved to let him in, anyway.

"I expected that when I get back to 'Jump Street' I'd see you there with the others. But you weren't there."

Tom walked inside and turned to him getting the label out of his pocket.

"I came to give you this, to thank you for what you did to get me out and..well to apologize."

Dennis wrapped his fingers around the cold object then gently threw it to the couch and switching the TV off he turned around to look questioningly at his ex-partner again.

"Why would you want to apologize to me? I thought you couldn't stand me."

It hurt Tom to realize it was true; there really was a time when he hated Dennis, but now he sincerely regretted it.

"You lost your job because of me." Tom continued slowly. "And I'm really sorry."

He tried not to laugh at the face Dennis was making.

"Look I know you think I'm still mad at you for what you did, but I'm not. Even if you put me behind bars you did everything you could to take me out of jail and you even lost your job because of that. If anything you should be the one angry at me."

Both of them stared intensely at each other after his last comment.

"The truth is that we're not so different you and I. In fact I think in a way you're better than me and I guess I just..I was jealous you know. You always seem so..in control of everything that I...I kind of wished to be like you."

He took a deep breath before he started to speak again.

"When you first started at 'Jump Street' and got partnered with me I tried everything to prove you guilty of being a racist and raping that girl. I broke to your apartment, accused you in front of everyone..but you never pressed charges against me. And then when I ran away after Buddy was shot you did everything to prove me guilty of the crime. I guess I just realized that you acted like a good cop should act. You didn't let my case get personal to you. Penhall and Hoffs acted like my friends and let their emotions get to the best of them but you didn't."

"I wouldn't be so sure." Dennis said, trying not to let the guilt show in his voice.

"But I am. When you got even the slightest doubt that I might not be guilty you took me out of jail. You did everything to prove Frank Farrell guilty. You even lost your job for that."

Dennis looked down and he felt Tom's hand on his shoulder.

"All I wanted to say is I'm sorry. You lost too much because of me."

"You never fail to surprise me, Hanson. I thought you'd be glad I lost my job and won't be around anymore yet here you are apologizing for it."

"I could never be glad a friend of mine lost his job because of me." Tom answered shaking his head.

The corners of Booker's lips trembled slightly as if to form a smile he tried to hold back.

"Oh, so I'm your friend now?!"

Another intensive eye-lock between the two followed.

"You've always been my friend."

Tom Hanson sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"It just took me an awful lot of time to realize it. And that's another thing I'm sorry about."