Comfort

This is a Hanson/Hoffs oneshot again but I had to write it because I always wondered how he reacted when she told him she was raped. I mean it's obvious he supported her and was there for her but still...

Summary: Tom/Judy oneshot

Characters: Tom, Judy
Possible pairing: Tom/Judy
Genre: Hurt/Comfort with hints of Friendship/Romance

"Talk to me."

Tom was practically begging as they swayed in the rhythm of the song that was playing in the background, hands rested gently on her waist while her own clutched his upper arms as if it was the end of the world.

Judy had been silent through the whole day and tonight while they were celebrating the good closure of their case she again didn't say a word and was deep in her thoughts. Even now when Tom begged her to tell him what was going on she seemed distant.

"It isn't over."

"What isn't?!"

She wasn't making sense and he was beginning to panic. Something wrong was definitely going on with her and all he wanted was to help her, but he couldn't do it until she talked to him.

But when she finally spoke, he wished she didn't.

"He raped me."

Her voice was shaking when she said it and Tom felt his blood run cold. His mind was finding it hard to process the information and he prayed he had just heard her wrong, because it couldn't be true.

Although it did seem to explain her odd behaviour from the other night when she asked him to stay at his place for the night.

"What?!" Was the only thing he managed to choke out of his mouth, heart pounding fast in his chest.

"Evan Roberts. He raped me last night."

Judy's voice sounded steadier this time and even though he turned his head to look at her she avoided eye contact with him. He remained frozen for a couple of seconds before carefully pulling her into a gentle hug. In reality he felt like killing that Roberts guy who had dared to hurt Judy, but he knew she needed him right now and besides he was a cop so a murder was not an option for him. She buried her head in his neck fighting back the tears that threatened to spill. He rubbed her back with one of his hands and held her tight. One of her hands was still on his chest and she could feel his heartbeat; it soothed her to the point she wished they could remain like this forever, that he could hold her forever and would never let go.

When they finally released from the hug he gently lifted her chin to make her look at him.

"Whatever happened last night doesn't matter, because you'll always be special detective Hoffs. Never forget that." He said quietly staring right into her brown eyes, before kissing her forehead.

She was one of the most special people in his life and he wouldn't let her think otherwise.

She felt new potion of tears choking her after his words, but she fought them hard. After she told him the truth of what happened the other night Tom still considered her special. He still looked at her the same way and held her tight to comfort her. A tear ran down her cheek, but she quickly wiped it away. She wasn't the special one. He was. And she couldn't imagine not having him in her life.

"Do you want to get out of here?" He leaned to whisper in her ear and felt her nod slightly.

Tom put his arm around her shoulders and walking back to their table to grab her jacket he gave some lame excuse to Fuller and Penhall before they walked out of the bar.

Once outside in the cold air Tom put Judy's jacket around her shoulders and opened the door of his car to her; there was no way he was going to let her drive home alone with her car. She hesitated but eventually got inside. Tom walked around the car and climbed into the driver's seat, turning to look at her.

"So..where to, now? Do you want me to take you home or..?"

She didn't say anything just stared at him. He frowned.

"What?"

"Nothing." She shook her head. "I just.."

"You thought I was going to make you go and report the rape?" He finished for her and she was once again surprised how well he knew her and could read her like an open book.

"Yeah." She said quietly.

"Judy, you're a police officer who quite recently became a detective. You've had a lot of similar cases in your career. You know what the procedures are and what to do. If you decide you don't want to press charges, fine. It's your decision and I'm not going to try and pressure you to do something you don't want to. But whatever you decide I will always stand by you. You will not be alone and never will be."

Tom knew he was supposed to talk her into pressing charges against Evan Roberts so the court could put him away for good, but he knew better than that. She was really upset and to pressure her into something she probably wasn't ready or willing to do was definately not an option right now.

He gave her a small smile of reassurance and she felt tears fill her eyes again. She had no words to describe how grateful she was to hear what Tom had said. She knew she'd never be able to thank him enough for his support.

"Thanks." She said quietly.

Tom gently squeezed her hand in response. Judy felt his touch gave her strength and she made her mind of what she was going to do.

"I want to press charges." She said, trying to sound confident.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." She nodded and squeezed his hand back to show him she meant it.

He nodded and started the engine of the car.

The drive was a silent one but both of them were surprised to find out there was no tension. When they arrived at the police station and climbed out of the car Tom looked at Judy and held out his hand for her.

"Are you ready?"

She took his hand and looked in front of herself.

Now or never.

"Yeah, I think I am."

She turned to look at him and her eyes travelled around his handsome features. 'I'm ready to face the world with you by my side', she thought, getting lost in his deep brown orbits.

"Tom?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for giving me space to take my own decision. No one else would do that and I can't even begin to tell you how much it means to me."

She prayed he knew she meant it with all her heart.

He pushed the door open for her and squeezed her shoulder while walking through the entrance. His lips twitched to form a smile in her direction.

"For you, always, detective Hoffs."

The warmth that filled her heart was overwhelming and Judy found herself entering the building with confidence she never imagine she'd feel.

Tom Hanson had given her something no one else could've given her.

Comfort.