The Elevator [Part 1]

a/n: This was supposed to be a oneshot but it was turning out too long so I splitted it into parts. I'll post each part when I proof re-read it and check it for any mistakes.

Summary: AU Hanson/Booker oneshot. They get stuck in an elevator after chasing a possible suspect. The others race against time to find them before it is too late.
Characters: Tom, Dennis
Possible pairing: None
Genre: Suspense/Angst/Drama with hints of Crime

"I wish I wasn't trying to quit smoking."

Tom snorted at Dennis' comment.

"Why, so we could die faster by a lack of oxygen before anyone even figures out we're stuck in here?!"

"No, because then I would've had my lighter with me and we would've had light."

"Oh."

They've been stuck in the damn elevator for fifteen minutes now and neither was thrilled of being locked up in the other's company.

"Ow!" Tom suddenly cried in pain.

"Sorry." Dennis said quickly.

"Just watch your feet." The other boy murmured, moving his left leg in an attempt to ease the pain in his toes.

"How am I supposed to watch my feet when I can't see anything in this darkness?!"

"Well I can't see anything either but at least I'm not stepping over you!"

"I said I was sorry!" Dennis stated annoyed.

Tom moved carefully so he could stand further from Dennis, but he felt him move too.

"Lift me up."

"Excuse me?"

"Lift me up. Some elevators have a manhole on the top in case people are stuck inside and have to escape. I've seen that in movies."

"Oh, great." Tom murmured sarcastically under his breath, but loud enough for Dennis to hear him.

"Come on, just lift me up and I'll feel the top of the elevator with my hands."

"I don't think this will work."

"We can at least try."

Tom sighed and moved towards where he was hearing Dennis' voice. He then crouched down and reached to touch Dennis' legs, wrapping his arms around his knees and with some effort he lifted him up. Being taller and more muscular than Tom, Dennis was quite heavy but Hanson didn't complain because right now they had to find a way out.

"Well?"

"I can't feel an opening or anything else of that sort." Dennis groaned.

Tom put him down on the ground again and free of the extra weight he shook his hands because they had began to hurt.

"Well what's next?"

"I don't know." Booker answered. "How long do you think before someone notices we're gone?!"

"We're supposed to report to the chapel at eight, but it's still about an hour until then. Doug and Harry are on their case and Judy and Fuller probably think we're at the school."

"Ugh." Dennis groaned, silently cursing their situation and he started pacing slowly in the small space, careful not to step over Tom again.

"The good thing is we didn't actually go to the school today because we followed our suspect instead, so the principal might call our 'father' to complain. And besides someone in this building would eventually notice the elevator's not working."

"Well it better be soon."

Tom felt Dennis suddenly stop pacing and he heard a sound of a gun's shot being cleared.

"What are you doing?!" He asked firmly not liking what Dennis was doing.

"I've got an idea. Get down and be careful."

A few seconds after Booker's warning a gunshot echoed along with a loud bang.

"Are you mad?! This elevator's made of steel, you're not going to make a hole in it with a small gun!"

"It was worth a try."

Tom sighed.

"Let's just wait for a bit and try to come with something better." He suggested.

Half an hour had passed but neither could think of what they could do to escape. They even tried to pull the door of the elevator open but that didn't work either.

That's when they felt the slightest of vibration under their feet.

"What was that?" Tom gasped quietly. "Did you feel it?"

"Of course I did. The elevator is starting to move." Booker said quickly, trying to take a breath. "I think we caused it when we tried to open the door."

"Yeah and now we must be very careful because if that elevator falls down.." Tom didn't finish his sentence, but Booker understood perfectly what if.

They had to get out of there, because their time was running out.