Fear

Summary: Judy/Tom oneshot

Characters: Judy, Tom
Possible pairing: None
Genre: Hurt/Comfort/Drama

It was a rarity for Judy Hoffs to feel scared, but now she felt fear stabbing her heart like a knife. She was pacing furiously back and forth in front of her desk.

Tom Hanson was all by himself in the juvenile lock-up and even the very thought of it sent shivers down her spine.

Doug had been pulled out after his claustrophobia had taken its toll on him on their second night inside. Soon after him Dennis and Harry were pulled out too because their cover was too close to be blown and Fuller didn't want to risk it.

Now Tom was in there with all those dangerous kids and no back up. He was alone.

To top it all she had accidentally overheard a conversation between Booker and Ioki the previous night, when they were discussing the case and Dennis had mentioned that he had warned Tom to be very careful and not to try and play too much cop inside if he didn't want to blow his cover or get his life in danger.

She ran a shaking hand through her hair trying to stay calm.

"Would you sit down?! You're making me dizzy." Penhall murmured irritated from his desk while trying to focus on the paperwork he was filling.

Doug had been sent to the shrink and then given a couple of days off to get himself together but he didn't want to stay home alone so he volunteered to do some paperwork in the chapel. That way he could be around the others and hear news about Tom as soon as there were some. The guilt he felt for leaving his partner and best friend alone inside because of his stupid phobia was eating him inside so he tried to keep himself distracted with everything he could. Dennis and Harry on the other hand felt bad for being pulled out too and were also worried sick but they couldn't stop discussing the possible outcomes of the case and how they could help Tom if needed. To say neither couldn't think of one possible good outcome for their fellow undercover officer was an understatement.

Judy only gave Penhall an angry look and deciding she couldn't just stand around doing nothing she ran straight to Fuller's office. After a moment of hesitation Penhall followed her too. She didn't even bother to knock on the door but simply bursted inside.

"Captain!"

Fuller lifted his head from what he was doing.

"What is it, Hoffs?"

"We have to do something, we can't leave Tom in there all alone!"

He patiently waited her to finish.

"What do you suggest?" He asked calmly.

"Well I don't know..can't I go there and back him up or something?"

"That's not an option, Hoffs. And even if it was, the boys are separated from the females, so you and Tom would be isolated from each other and wouldn't be able to get in touch."

She silently cursed in her mind.

"Well, can't we at least talk to him?"

She couldn't believe how Fuller could just be so calm and collected when the life of one of his officers was in danger.

"I already did."

Both her eyes and Doug's widened.

"What? When? Is he ok?" She spoke too quickly but she just needed to know.

"I went to see him yesterday posing as his social worker. And he was fine. I mean as fine as he could be considering where he is. He said he was the hammer or something."