| 2 | Friends? Friends.

Your POV

An all too familiar sight greeted me once I got back from the bathroom.

My boss was already placing yet another stack of papers on my desk, wiping off the sweat on his forehead as if carrying it ten steps to my table was such a monumental task. He smiled at me as I slowly sat down on my chair, careful not to bump the outgoing folders I finished last night.

"Ah, Y/N, there you are. These are the contracts we've signed with Dalton Inc. since last year," he said, patting the top of the pile like it was a pet. "Lawyers are coming over this afternoon to make sure they're all up to date. I need you to sort them out by priority and record the logistics of all of them."

For the first time in my life, I cast him a hard glare. I don't know what pushed me to do it. Was I finally at my boiling point? Was I going to explode any second? Or was it because I was already hungry and this was going to make me have lunch late again?

Probably the latter. No one comes between me and food.

I saw a flicker of surprise in James' face before he cast me his own glare. "What? You got something to say?"

His booming voice crumbled my resolve and I could only shake my head. He smirked at me before leaving me slumped into my seat. However, as if the universe wasn't making my life a living hell already, Rose and Jaz decided to strut their way to my table and place a USB in front of me

"Jaz and I are going to get our nails done so we can't finish this dumb finance report. You're going to do it for us," Rose said with Jaz saying an enthusiastic 'yeah'.

"W—what?"

"Did I fucking stutter? Oh wait no... that was you." Rose and Jaz cackled as they high-fived each other before turning back to me. "On my table tomorrow. Or you'll encounter another 'accidental' coffee stumble. We all know James is not gonna like that." They walked away laughing as I placed my forehead on the cool, metal desk.

I hate this fucking job.

-//-//-//-//-//-

Looking around, I sighed once I saw no sign of the little devil.

I know I've told myself never to come here again but I couldn't last another minute in the office anymore. It seemed like no matter how fast I worked or how thorough, the stack never gets smaller. It's like it was mocking me. That's when I knew I needed to get away.

Plus, the air was nice around here and gave me some much needed peace and quiet.

I sat down and took a bite of my sandwich. I should probably start packing heavier lunches from now on but at the rate of work James was giving me, I couldn't afford a leisurely lunch. Kids squealing could be heard from the school below and I scrunched up my nose at the thought that their shrill voices reminded me of the head bitch that stuck more work my way.

My phone rang as I was about to take a drink from my juice box. I opted to ignore it, fully expecting it to be my boss. But the name on the screen immediately made me place the juice on the bench and walk over to the tree.

"Hey, Ma."

"Y/N, sweetie!" I heard her enthusiastic voice from the other line, "how are you?"

"I'm good. I was just eating lunch. Why'd you call so suddenly?"

"Well, I wanted to know if you were still going home for Christmas?"

I chuckled and shook my head. "Ma, it's only August."

I heard her huff and knew she was already pouting. "I know but it's not too early to prepare, you know." We both laughed as she continued. "Plus your father really misses you. He worries about you, you know."