| 7 | The Lauren Special

Your POV

"So let me get this straight." Marco said as he bit off a part of the turkey sandwich I made for him. "Your boss who gave you an early out two weeks ago has made your life more hell than it already is because?"

I sighed and finished off my juice box then threw it in the trash for a three point shot. "Because he hates it whenever I one up him. That's why he's sent more work my way since that day."

"Couldn't you complain about it in an ethics committee or something?"

"Ethics committees are for hospitals. You're talking about human resources department. And no, he's the boss and he'll just give more work my way when he finds out."

"That sucks," he said and I just shrugged.

Since that day, I've been stuck in the office from morning 'til night. I'm the only one left on the floor and Rose and Jaz are having a field day about it, taunting me and laughing at my predicament. I had half a mind to tell them off but of course, I always backed down at the last second. I hated confrontation and as much as possible, I wanted my life to keep being peaceful.

"At least he lets you pick me up from school."

"He's curious about you but luckily he doesn't push when I shut up."

I watched the children playing in the distance and found their screams a little bit more bearable than before. Maybe it was because they weren't as rowdy anymore or maybe because I had bigger problems in my life right now.

"By the way, my mom has been asking about you."

My gaze fell on the ground. I haven't seen or talked to Lauren since the day Marco asked us those questions. Taking time off from seeing her seemed to work. She disappeared from my mind as work took over. But now that Marco mentioned her again, all the memories came back.

I flashed Marco a smile before finishing off my sandwich. "Sorry, I've just been really busy lately. Maybe some other time."

"Then we'll continue the questions."

I choked on my sandwich and began coughing. "Let's not," I croaked out once I could speak again.

Marco just shrugged. "Suit yourself."

We sat in silence after that, with me lost in my own thoughts. The holidays were fast approaching and I was about to see my family back in Washington again. Honestly, they were probably going to pressure me into getting a girlfriend and if not, just friends would be fine for them. I wonder what their reactions would be once I tell them that I found a whole family that accepted me into their home. Lisa would freak and dad would probably cry tears of joy.

But mom would be so proud of me.

"You're looking longingly at the playground again. See, this is why I thought you were a kidnapper the first time." I rolled my eyes and nudged his shoulder a bit. "By the way, you don't need to pick me up later."

"Why? What's up?"

"Mom is picking me up. She's taking me to the park so Morty and I could play," he said beaming.

I nodded. "Alright, at least I'll have more time for work. Hopefully I'll get it done soon."

"Where do you work again?"

Grabbing his shoulders, I turned him towards the left and pointed at a tall building in the distance. "There. We share the building with a customs brokerage though but they all have the same owner."

"What floor?"

"Forty-sixth."

"What's your job again?"