The Kiss

Grey eyes met sky blue.

He shrank away, insides whirling with fragile wisps that he didn't dare disturb further—but she was determined to show him she meant no harm. A small, strong hand, rough from work, reached out to touch his cheek.

He let out a quiet gasp, shocked by the contact, but her touch was firm as it guided him to look at her. Simultaneous, contradictory gentility created a tingling ripple that swept over him—no, through him—and sky blues widened in bewilderment as cool greys pulled them in. Two portals each: earth and cosmos.

The spell was cast.

She could have dropped her hand and he'd not turn away, all apprehension gone—well, not gone, but so absorbed in her charm that he couldn't if he wanted to.

Electricity washed over his skin and stimulated every last follicle of hair. She hovered over him, eyes softening, but somehow deepening, and his limbs turned to jelly. Meanwhile, her arms snaked their way around his neck, pulling them closer together.

She moved slowly, fingers hooked to the fabric of his shirt, but eventually, she pressed her lips into his. His entire body went rigid, then melted—further, if it were possible, but it must be because he just was—into her arms.

He was utterly lost to the moment—they both were—not knowing where the swirling hazy heat began and where it ended. Questions went unasked: did she know what she did to him? Did he know how he made her ache to...do what? What could she consume that would satisfy this powerful craving?

No. It wasn't just a craving—not even a longing.

It was a need. He needed her; she needed him. They both needed each other more than either could express. Air. His and hers. They both needed air to live. She'd stolen his with her gaze, and he responded with an attempt to steal it back, in what became a back-and-forth battle for life-essence.

Everything was committed to memory, if only for a fleeting moment.

The two pulled themselves together as if they intended to merge as one. The haze deepened—intensified—washed over and into their essences until it began to spill over. Limbs became horribly entangled and lips sought to devour. Warmth radiated.

Sounds faded out—all replaced by velvety silence. The swirling heat became a string that pulled them both upward—backs arching—and held them in a suspended state of bliss. Moments passed, perhaps centuries, and the heat dispersed, allowing them to drift back to earth.

Sky blue eyes opened to cool greys, no longer apprehensive. She'd sung him a cosmic opera, and he'd joined her in a duet.