Attempt #1

Rick pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a long sigh. "Explain it to me one more time."

"R-right..." Wheatley put his hands together and tried to regain his composure. "So, I did everything we talked about..."

"Right..."

"I booked us a table..."

"Okay..."

"The waiter came with the desserts..."

"Okay..."

"She thought the chocolate cake was absolutely delicious, by the way..."

Rick tried not to roll his eyes. "Okay..."

"...a-and I waited for her to find the ring in it, but she didn't. She completely finished it off. The whole piece. Just..." He snapped his fingers, "...gone!"

"Okay..."

"I thought, shit, what if she's swallowed it? And I was panicking because how am I supposed to tell her that? 'I'm so sorry, but I was trying to propose to you and you probably just ate the ring'..."

"Okay?"

"...so anyway, I played it cool and took a bite of my cake..."

"Okay?"

"...and I swallowed it."

"You swallowed it?"

"I swallowed it."

Rick blinked, incredulous. "You swallowed the ring?"

Wheatley nodded, suddenly looking like he was about to cry. "I g-guess they got the cakes mixed up..."

Rick barely hid a guffaw, then scrambled to look serious before he turned back to his friend. "I think we'd better go to the emergency room."