Part 4

The next morning Princess Sue awoke and found herself in the dusty, dark dungeon of the old Black Castle. The night before, she had returned to normal self after dusk, so she thought the spell had been broken. But, once the sun rose, she returned to her canary form. Just then, Hendel, her kidnapper returned to try to make her sing a song. She explained if the princess did not sing she would not eat.

Sue cried as she sang, which pleased Hendel. For the witch treasured pain and agony above all else. After the sad song was finished she only left one molded crumb of bread for the canary princess.

Princess Michie awoke in the White family's brick farmhouse to the smell of mouthwatering, delicious pancakes, bacon, eggs, and sweet cinnamon rolls. With permission, Michelle happily helped cook. Then she was asked to go outside and fetch Mr. White and his three sons to come inside to eat. She and their youngest child, Mary skipped and frolicked on their way to the barn merrily.

After hearing the news of breakfast the boys raced and fought to be first through the back door.

Little Mary teased her eldest brother Rob about the manner in which he ate. "Rob, I declare! You devour your food faster than father's pigs do their slop!" she complained.

"Well you always pick at your food like a woodpecker pecking on a tree!" the red haired boy retaliated as his face turned red as a beet with anger. At this, Mr. White sent them outside to do their chores without finishing their meal.

Amidst towering pines, willows, buttercups, and squirrels, Princess Missy awoke to the songs of her feathered friends. This time they lead her through the woods to a brook to wash her face.

The child was delighted to find that the water tasted sweet. She soon learned from her furry friend that this was, due to all the wild berry bushes which grew along beside it. The bushes roots made the river taste as sweet as their very own berries. So she decreed to the animals that from that day forward the brook shall be called "Berry Brook."

That afternoon Hendel visited Princess Sue again. She said, "I have seen in by crystal ball, dear child, that you are a princess of this vast land. Tell me where your sisters are!" she demanded.

"Even if I did know, I wouldn't dare tell you," Sue exclaimed!

"You are a horrid little liar. If my kindness will not work, I shall release my full wrath and fiery fury upon you. You're just lucky I chose not to turn a frog instead of a bird! You shall sing during the day and hunger by night until you break!" screamed the witch, as she stormed out of the room.

Princess Michie had to omit to herself that she would have loved to stayed one more day with the White's, so she could play with Mary a little more, but she knew that her sisters needed her.

She had helped clean the dishes, watered the flowers, and weeded the vegetable garden before, she set out once more to find her dear siblings. Out of gratitude for all Princess Michelle's help, Mrs. White filled a picnic basket with a sandwich, cookies, apples, and turkey. This pleased the princess well.