Part One

• Dedicated to my three nieces.

        Once upon a time in a faraway land lived a king and queen. They were very kind and gentle rulers. The king and his elegant wife lived a very happy life with all the comforts one could imagine. Their greatest treasure was their three children.

Sue their oldest, was unlike most children of her time for she loved art, math, poetry, and reading. She was the oldest at the age of twelve. A very small amount of people knew she had the ability to sing anyone to sleep; although, she lost this ability when she was angry or scared. She spent most of her time reading books on every subject in the castle's library, though her favorite was her uncle's collection of music. From all this reading she acquired a vast amount of knowledge.

Michie, their middle child was ten years old. With her flowing black hair and sparkling green eyes, she was the loveliest girl in the kingdom. She also had a heart of gold that matched her looks, equally. She was renowned for being very polite, loving, and cheerful. Just one smile made one's heart so merry it felt like it could burst.

Missy, the youngest princess at eight years old was the most athletic. She could out run any boy in the whole kingdom. Her greatest secret was that she had the ability to talk to animals, a matter that only her and her close family knew.

That month the whole kingdom was a buzz about the queen's upcoming birthday, especially her three little daughters. Each princess wanted to get her the best gift ever. However, they had no idea what to get for her. As they soon found out, it was easier said than done, for their mother seemed to have everything. So the three girls decided to embark on a quest in search of a gift worthy enough to be a gift for a queen. After each princess had packed her own lunch into her basket, and set out on their quest.