Isaiah

I was organizing my books in my locker when I felt someone touch my shoulder. I do not react well to being touched. I tensed up and gulped before turning around expecting to see one of my pack members but instead, I saw myself reflected in beautiful blue eyes, Elizabeth. All the tension disappeared and I could breathe again.

"Hello! there!" she said happily waving her small perfect hand. 

Right now, in front of me, she was so tiny. It made me want to protect her from anything that could ever threaten that smile of hers. I smiled at the idea. Immediately, I noticed what felt like hundreds of eyes glued to us. Although my wolf hearing is weak, they were loud enough. They were wondering what she was doing talking to 'this loser.' Same here, actually. She always greets me with a smile, but she had never gone out of her way to talk to me, or anybody else for that matter.

"Good morning, Elizabeth. Is there something the matter?" 

I was so nervous because she was being scrutinized yet again today because of me.

She seemed to realize we were not so silently being judged and quickly spoke up. "Everything is fine! I just remembered that the literature teacher said that we should get along. So I wanted to say hello to you today but you were not looking." 

She nodded her head towards the nosy students and gave me a worried look before winking in a way only that I could see. She looks so cute. Wait, she lied. That is not what she wanted to tell me. I will have to be patient to know what she intended to say.

"Thank you for being so nice. See you in class then," I gave her a small smile to let her know that I understood what she meant.

As she walked away, I fought the urge to chase her. I wanted to be near her. I was egoistic like this. I'd had a crush on her for so long, and now with two days of talking to her, I felt the happiest I could ever be. I sighed. 

Someone behind me scoffed. I turned around and to my horror, I saw Elizabeth's Beta Lincoln, with Joshua and Samuel, other high ranked members of her pack. Everyone knew that the three of them practically worship the ground Elizabeth's feet touch. They were also the school's most notorious players. I felt sorry for their future mates.

"Do not think that because a teacher made her talk to you, you are now friends. Elizabeth is just incapable of not being nice. You are nothing to her and you will never ever be. The only reason that we do not hit you now is that bullying is forbidden in this school." He spat those words at me. 

This is bullying, you asshole. Suddenly, it clicked, maybe that look that I saw was annoyance. He must be right. Who did I think I was to read her expressions? I wasn't close enough to her to know.

"I know I am not worthy of being her friend. I would never assume something like that." My heart shattered as those words left my mouth. 

I lowered my head and show my neck in submission. The hell I lived at home is enough. I wanted to stay invisible here. 

Lincoln looked over my shoulder and put his hands up in fear. "Oh, Elizabeth we were just tal--"

Elizabeth punched him in the face before he could even finish that sentence, her eyes pitch black. It was her wolf in control now but why? What the heck was happening?

"Elizabeth, you do not need to do this, it is ok" I rubbed her arm as if that would help her relax somehow. She seemed to calm down but she quickly pulled away and walked towards her Beta grabbing him by the hair.

She used her Alpha tone, "I think that I told you, that you should not bully other students. Did not I nicely asked you that favor before?" 

Was she doing all of this because he disrespected her authority? No, Elizabeth would never do that. There must be another reason.

"Yes, Alpha. I am sorry." The other two pack members kneeled and showed their necks.

"You do not need to do that. I know you are good." I knew she did not mean that part, her face showed fury when she saw them. "Just do not follow bad examples. That is not good for you. Lincoln already promised that he was going to be good. Right Lincoln?"

"Yes, Alpha."

"See? Just be good and nice to everyone." 

That was something she would always say but today it sounded different. Her voice was cold and deprived of any emotion.

Her voice terrified me, she was like an Apex predator and I was a hopeless prey. She approached me and for a second my feet itched to run away from her, but then I looked into her eyes. They reflected so many emotions. They were filled with concern, shame and... love? I must be imagining things. Nonetheless, I stopped panicking and she flashed me a tender smile. Maybe she'd done all this for me. This is what I wanted to believe at least.

The most beautiful melody then reached my ears."Isaiah, go to your class. You are going to be late. I need to take care of my Beta. Sorry for putting you in a bad spot here." 

I loved when she said my name. She was apologizing to me. I was trash for being terrified of her just a moment ago. Her tone was so caring. All these mixed feelings were so strange and confusing. I nodded and left to class. All the way there I had only one thought in my mind. She would fight for me.