Isaiah

Isaiah

Today is finally Friday. I know she said that I should not meet her today at the library but I need to fix my mistake. During literature class I kept trying to bring up the topic, but she ignored anything that was not related to the project. It was like she was being selectively deaf. I told her that I was going home, but instead I am going to the library. Hopefully she will be there.

I asked the librarian and luckily Elizabeth is in her "reading chamber." I knocked on the door and she opened it. She frowned when she saw me. That hurts. "I realized that I forgot to give you part of the research I did Wednesday. I am just going to leave it to you and let you work in peace." I put my hands up and she let me in.

I sit next to her and she returns to her reading.

"Elizabeth, I made a terrible mistake." She glanced at me curiously.

"Did something happen with the research you were going to give me?"

"No." I shook my head. "I assumed things that I should not have assumed. I did not bother trying to understand you, even though the truth was in right in front of me." She went back to her book, not bothering acknowledge me this time.

"Are you going to ignore me?"

"You are not talking about the project are you?" I tried to make eye contact with her, but she completely buried her face in her book.

"Elizabeth..." I grabbed her chin and made her face me. She growled angrily, but I refused to let my fear control me again. "I want to be your friend. I really do. I made a mistake before. I was stupid. I knew those people were not really your friends, but I refused to believe it. Your life just looks so perfect, while mine is a mess. I did not want to let my baggage affect you, but if you still want a friend like this walking disaster in front of you, I will do everything to be good to you." Tears rolled down her cheeks.

"I want to be your friend, I Isaiah... I would be happy if you let me be close to you." I gave her a hug and she dropped her book on her lap. When we pulled away silence consumed us. My right arm was still across her shoulders. Her eyes flickered between my eyes and my lips, and I am sure mine were doing the same. She began to lean forward slowly and I did the same. Her eyes were the brightest they have ever been. I could feel her hot breath now. This felt just right.

Before I could finally kiss her, there was a knock on the door. We both jumped a little and each grabbed a book. The door opened slowly and there he was, Hunter Wooldridge, intimidating as ever. I gulped. I am sure this counts as a near death experience.

"Daddy!" The angelic girl beside me squealed happily as she ran to her father's arms. "I thought you could not pick me up today. I was going to call Lincoln to get me home!" I felt anger rise inside of me. They seem to have become awfully close after she punched him.

"I finished earlier. I know you were not feeling good today." He stopped for a second and looked attentively to his daugher. "But, you seem to be good now!" His gaze then shifted to me.

"I do not know what that Isaiah boy did, but it worked! I guess you do not need me anymore. Bye!" He released her from the hug and began to walk away.

"Daaaad!" called Elizabeth dramatically.

Alpha Wooldridge walked back chuckling. "What if we go to get dinner with your friend?" I had never seen The Clear Moon Beast smile. Elizabeth must have more than one superpower. Oh no... Wait, I am the friend!

"Yes dad! I want you to get to know to my new friend" she beamed. Nooo, Elizabeth, beautiful do not do this to me. I would not be able to eat in front of him!

"It would be my honor, Alpha Wooldridge." I bowed my head respectfully. It is not like I can reject anything coming from the strongest Alpha AND his daughter.

"Oh kid, no need to call me like that. You are Elizabeth's friend now, so you are my friend too. You can call me Hunter. No, please call me Hunter. Otherwise I would feel like I am working." He laughed jovially. I think there is a possibility of me surviving this meal, as long as no one mentions the almost kiss. I smiled nervously.

"Let's go then! Isaiah please close the door and bring the key," he left the room with his hand still on his daughter's back. I hurried and closed the door and dropped off the key in the front desk. Watching them walk side by side was kind of funny. I am tall, but Hunter Wooldridge is still taller than me. Elizabeth is tiny so her father looks gigantic besides her.

He drove us to an Italian restaurant. Once the initial shock had passed, I realized that talking to them was actually pretty enjoyable. They were kind enough to not mention my situation in my pack and instead we talked like regular friends. Both of them had a great sense of humor. We laughed the whole time. Hunter teased Elizabeth saying that he was jealous he was of how much she smiled at me, and she, with a goofy grin on, not missing a beat said that we were each other's closest friends now. I may have blushed a little. Her father looked pleased.

As we left the restaurant, I walked behind them listening to their conversation. I could not help but think about my own father. The times we would walk side by side and talk about the future. He always said that I was his favorite because while my brother is hot headed and an extrovert, I have a calm and quiet personality, similar to dad's. We would go out just the two of us at least twice a week to have dinner and drop by the library. He taught me to read from a young age and getting new books together was our thing. I miss my dad. I could not hold back a quiet whimper.

Of course Elizabeth heard me and and looked back at me, her worried eyes meeting my glassed ones. "What is wrong, Isaiah?" She reached for my forearm and peered at me with concern. His father was right behind of her observing her attentively with a small smile on his face.

"I just remembered my dad..." I said in a whisper and forced myself to smile, hoping I could brush off the topic as unimportant. "Oh Isaiah.." Elizabeth began to say, but Alpha Wooldridge cut her off. He approached me and put his hand on my shoulder. "I know nothing I can say will change the past but if it is worth something you are free to talk to me about anything. Also, if you are interested I would like you to be my protégé." His face was serious but he had soft eyes which contrasted with my wide eyes. This was not simple proposal. He just offered to mentor me. Probably every wolf in the country would kill to be his protégé. It is known that he trains closely with all of his pack members, but so far his only protégé has been Elizabeth.

"I really appreciate the offer, Alp-Hunter, but as you know I am not able to shift because of the incident." I lowered my head in shame.

"I know, but you will be able to do it once you find your mate and something tells me this will happen sooner than expected. Once you are able to shift I will train you myself until you become stronger that my Lizzie."

"Hey!" exclaimed Elizabeth putting her hands on her hips.

"Just kidding, darling you are the strongest." teased Hunter with a smirk.

He hide his mouth from Elizabeth using his hand and muted to me "stronger that Lizzie." I snickered.

"I saw that, Father..."

We all crackled.

"Then, I accept your proposal. I will reach out to you as soon as I am able to shift again." I smiled genuinely.

They wanted to give me a ride home but I insisted they drop me at the limits of the pack territory. I ran all the way home.

I tried to sneak in but as soon as I opened the door I met my brother. He sneered at me while playing with a silver knife. "We missed you for dinner, little brother." I blanched with terror and he laughed at me mockingly.

I spent the whole weekend paying for my "mistake."