fívє

"Well then, welcome to the big city."

"How's that signal?" Morales asks T-Dog, who was currently turning the knob on a radio and was being greeted with static.

Amara peers over the edge of the building and watches the cranks stumble around, groaning.

"Weak. Like Dixon's brain." T-Dog mutters. All he gets is a middle finger in reply.

Morales turned to her and Rick, "Got some people outside the city, that's all. There's no refugee center." She just nods.

"Then we're all on our own. Up to us to find a way out." Rick says, his sheriff persona showing.

"Yeah but how? These streets aren't safe, Rick." Amara says quietly from next to him.

"Now that's an understatement." Morales pipes up.

Rick perks up suddenly, thoughtfulness written all over his face. "What about under the streets, like the sewers?"

"Oh man..." Morales says, and pauses for a moment.

"Hey Glenn, check the alley. See if there's any manhole covers." And Glenn is off, running over the catwalk to peer over the edge of the building.

"No, they must be all on the street where the geeks are."

She frowns and her thoughts start racing, looking for potential solutions.

"Maybe not-" The woman, Jackie speaks.

"Old buildings like this, the ones built in the twenties, often had drainage tunnels in the basement in case of flooding." Amara raises an eyebrow at the woman's knowledge.

"How do you know that?" She asks.

"It was my job."Jackie shrugged.

~

The underground tunnel made her stomach churn.

It was dark, and the sound of a constant drip of water echoed throughout the enclosure.

The group lit the entrance up with their flashlights. Cords and pipes lined the tops of the tunnel.

"This is it?" Morales asked, daunted.

"This is the only thing in the building that goes down. I've scoped this place out before... but I've never gone down it, don't want to anyway." He grimaced.

Suddenly, everyone looked at him expectingly. Glenn glanced up and swallowed. "Oh."

"We'll be right behind you." Andrea begins.

"No you won't, not you." Glenn blurts.

"Why not me? Think I can't?" Amara sighs as Andrea shoots back. Seems she always is looking for a fight.

Glenn wipes his eyes. "Look. Until now, I always came by myself, in and out, grab a few things no problem. First time I bring a group, everything goes to hell-" He shoots her a look.

"-no offense. If you want me to go down there, fine, but only if we do it my way." And she feels impressed for some reason.

"I'll take one person, not you either." He speaks to Rick.

"You've got the only gun, so you stay here." He nods to Andrea.

"Jackie and Morales stay here. I've seen you with that sword, be my wingman." He looks at her and she nods.

"Okay. Be careful." Rick looks at her and she tries to manage a confidant smile.

Glenn and her put their flashlights in their mouths and he grabs onto the ladder. She feels adrenaline kick in when the cool metal touches her hands.