nínє

Amara woke up with light shining in her eyes. She groggily blinked and wiped her face, looking around the empty tent before sighing.

She sat up and shuffled over to her bag, where she got dressed in jeans and a tank top, already feeling the heat soaking into the tent.

Amara stepped outside, squinting as her eyes adjusted to the brightness. She threw her hair into a ponytail and trekked down the mini hill to where the main camp was set up.

She looked around and saw Carol and Lori sitting by the fire place, sewing needles and clothes in hand. Morales and Jackie sat nearby, hanging up damp cloths.

Carol raised her head and politely smiled, scooting over in her seat before patting it invitingly.

Amara returned the smile and went to sit, nodding at Lori as she passed her.

"How can I help?" Amara asked, peering over to watch as Carol sewed up a patch.

"We're just fixing some holes in these clothes. Do you know how to sew?" Carol asked.

Amara nodded. "Yeah."

"Great. If you could work on this one, please." She handed her a pair of pants.

"Of course." Amara grabbed the article and set it in her lap. She reached over and took a needle and thread in hand.

"How did you learn?" Carol asked quietly after a moment.

"My, uh, sister taught me." Amara smiled sadly for a second, pausing her hand movements.

"That's nice," she said softly.

"Yeah well it only took me forever to finally get it right." Amara snorted, careful not to prick her finger.

"It does take practice." Carol murmured, flipping over the shirt in her hands.

It was silent between them as they worked, safe for the bustling of the camp. Amara worked diligently, sewing up pants and shirts quickly.

"Ugh, Mom I don't get this!" She raised her head to see Carl sitting near them with a piece of paper and pencil in hand.

"Baby you gotta keep trying." Lori said, not looking up from her lap.

"But I don't get it!" Carl sighed again, propping his face up with his hands.

Amara then peaked over to see math problems splayed on the paper that Carl was huffing about.

"What kind of problems are these?" She asked him.

He looked up at her, surprised. "Uh, long division. Why?"

Amara smiled at him. "Maybe I can help?" She shot a look over at Lori who was staring at them.

Carl then smiled back, looking over at his mom for approval. Lori just nodded carefully and went back to sewing.

Amara got up from her seat and sat down next to Carl, who shifted the paper over to her.

"What are you stuck on?"

He pointed out the third question. "This one. I'm trying to do it but it doesn't make sense."

She examined his partially erased work and quickly solved the problem in her head. "Okay, I see what you did," she pointed out the mistake.

"When you were multiplying these two, you forgot to carry this over." She explained to the boy.

He scratched his head before taking the pencil again, rewriting the problem and completing it successfully.

"Awesome, just like that." Amara's lips turned up at the corners as the boy beamed.