Chapter 2

Scarlet, The Ruel Bay Sophomore!

Scarlet started unpacking her stuff into the spacious room. Looking around, she smiled. "Uhm, Scar? You don't need to hide them, it's just us in the house." Max said, tapping her shoulder. She smiled, nodding.

Scarlet looked around, and out the window, then turned to Max. Black ears and tail popped out of her hair and behind. She stretched out her tail, ruffling her ears. Yawning, she turned to Max, smiling.

"Okay children, let me tell you a story." Mrs. Sanders spoke, eyes full of wisdom and hope. " Long ago, there lived a species of humans, in the Li'an Region." She said, walking around the cluster of 2nd graders clustered around the rug, sitting in a circle. "Long ago, a species of the werewolves and nekokara, or nekos, lived among humans." Mrs. Sanders said, standing in front of the excited children. "Miss! Are they real??" A boy wearing a hat next Scarlet yelled. "i believe they are. Who knows, maybe one of you are." Mrs. Sanders responded. "Scarlet! Are you a neko??" Hat Boy asked, smiling. "Wh-what!? No!" Scarlet stuttered, checking her head to see if her ears popped out; they didn't. "Then are you a werewolf?" Hat Boy asked. "No silly!" Scarlet laughed.

"Scarlet?" Max asked, waving his hand in front of her face. The dazed neko jumped up, apologizing by bowing. "It's fine." Max chuckled.

I remember that rug, just faintly. The rug was separated into individual squares, and each square had it's own letter, spelling the alphabet. I sat on 'F', where a picture of a flower was paired with it. Scarlet thought to herself, smiling ever so lightly no one would notice.

Scarlet looked in the mirror. Her long, straight red hair was tied back in a fish-tail braid, which was at her hips. Her bangs cut off right over her eyes, covering them from the cruel society. She had on a red and black checkered flannel with a black tank-top under it, with black jeans. For some odd reason, her tail seemed to go through the jeans. They didn't break, but they just went through, like magic. Her black boots blended in with her jeans, piecing the outfit together.

After packing, Scarlet and Max walked down the stairs to see an awaiting Rose. "I see you've gotten more comfortable, eh?" Rose chuckled, looking at Scarlet's ears and swishing tail. Scarlet nodded, blushing in embarrassment. "Good! Anyways, I've filled out the paperwork, all you have to do is sign here." Rose said, handing her the clipboard and pen, with one page left, that read, Student Sign Here. She examined the slightly crinkled white paper, took a deep breath in, and quickly signed it, handing the clipboard and pen back to her excited aunt. "Welcome home my Ruel Bay Sophmore!" Rose yelled, clapping.

A small party was held that night. It wasn't big, just the four of them.

"I wish dad was here." Aaron sighed, playing with his slice of cake. "He'll be here next week, he still is on that big photo shoot, remember?" Rose answered. 

"I know..." Aaron sighed again. Scarlet looked at her sad cousin with pity and remorse. 

   I've been counting the days..."