Part 6

Rocks crackled under the tyres of the van as it wound its way down the long drive. Trees rose up on either side of the narrow path, somehow thriving in the salty air that came with being so close to the seaside. Finally the van came to a stop in a clearing where the dirt road spilled out from the forest. There was a large elegant house, but more importantly, white sand and water was visible just through a strip of trees on the far side of the house. Seth grinned like a little child and quickly unbuckled his seatbelt.

“Okay, tribe. Pile out! Get your gear and find rooms before you do anything else.” David instructed, pulling a hidden lever that opened the boot of the car with a popping noise.

The teenagers spilled from the car like water through a sieve. Even Skylar seemed to be excited.

“You alright, Jacky?” Seth noticed that Jack hadn’t budged from his seat. The pale boy sat with his elbows propped against the dash and his head in his hands. He appeared to have been crying.

“I’m dying,” Jack said simply and without any of his usual deep consideration. He rubbed his nose on the sleeve of his thin cardigan. “There’s so much I want to do and now I’m dying.”

Seth stared at his best friend blankly. What do you say to that? The others had already disappeared into the house and muffled thumps and shrieks came from the second and third storeys.

“Let’s go get our shit inside, dude.” He suggested haltingly. As always, he had no idea what to say.

“Sounds good.” Jack seemed to understand.

The sick boy stepped out of the van unsteadily. Seth offered Jack his arm, which he held for a moment while he got his balance. After a few seconds he nodded a little and smiled.

“I’ll get your stuff.” Seth said, noticing when Jack didn’t rush to say that he was fine, that he could carry his own bags. Instead he just gave that same sad smile that had been plastered to his lips for the past hours.

--

“Hey, what took you two so long?!” Garland danced over to Jack and Seth.

“We were just enjoying our time without you women bossing us around.” Jack teased weakly.

“Well, go put your shit away because we’re going to the beach!” Matilda cheered with her hands in the air.

“What are the sleeping arrangements?” Seth asked, pulling the two suitcases towards him in preparation to move.

“There are five bedrooms,” Kyle started. “You and Garland can share a bed without worrying about cooties I assume. So can Sky and me. Matilda, Jack and David each get their own bedrooms. Jack, we left you a room on the third floor. Figured you might like the view… Since, you know… You might be needing to rest a little more than us. It’s the only double bed on the top floor.” He said with something akin to pride at his thoughtful house planning.

“Thanks Kyle. I appreciate it.” Jack smiled. Seth could see the pain under his tight grin; the feeling of exclusion, alienation. His humble best friend had never liked special treatment, especially that which was positive. Seth couldn’t imagine what he would be feeling now that there was even more meaning behind it. Not to mention the part where Jack couldn’t actually refuse.

Seth carried the two suitcases up the stairwell, with Jack following at his own pace behind.

“Who knew that a car trip could tire you out so much?” Jack said in a faltering jab at small talk. Seth just nodded and wheeled the cases down the third storey hall until he identified the room that must have been left for Jack. It was airy and had a big window looking out onto the beach. A cosy four poster double bed was in the middle of the room, and a rocking chair sat in the corner. Perfect. He left Jack’s case at the foot of the bed and left him to examine his bedroom.