Part 29

Jack’s funeral had been just what he would’ve wanted; simple, no-nonsense, without Christian prayer or religious traditions of any obvious types. A few teary speeches from family members, one halting one from Seth that included the dropping of palm cards and lots of shy stuttering – something Skylar wouldn’t have expected at all from the outwardly self-confident grom – and a memorial video, and it was over. The funeral director wished everyone all the best for their lives and ushered the crowds of people into the overcast day outside.

Skylar wrapped her new cardigan tighter around her shoulders and gave Garland a sad smile as they stood out under the eaves of the funeral house. Seth, Matilda and Kyle almost naturally gravitated towards them and they stood in an awkward circle, hunched and with breath steaming from the sudden cold snap. Family and friends of the Summer family gave the kids their best pitying smiles from under tear stained, cherry red faces and hurried into the warmth of air-conditioned cars.

“Let’s go down to Pebbly.” Mattie suggested and pulled her beanie down lower over her ears to ward off the cold wind that carried the suggestion of a sprinkling rain.

The group exchanged shrugs and began to walk down the backroad in the general direction of the closest beach. On the way, Skylar was sure to pick up a chai latte for everyone at a small coffee shop on the corner. When asked why she simply responded with “it’s cold out.”

Little did she say about the aching remorse and guilt that chilled her to the core; for how does one explain that they regret falling in love with a dying boy?

Pebbly Beach was as gloomy and overcast as everywhere else on that day. Unbelievably, the beach was covered almost wholly in smooth stones that clattered and knocked underfoot. Every now and then a few thin vines made their way across the rocks and bloomed with beautiful purple flowers. With every wave that washed in the rocks gurgled as though drinking, and on the tide’s way out they sighed with relief. In, out. In, out. A steady breath. It reminded Skylar of Jack’s breathing on those last few days, wet and sputtering.

Matilda began to gather the creeping flowers from the rocks, pulling them up gently so the roots wouldn’t snap. She plucked any other flowers that dared to rear their heads from the salty soil beneath the rocks, and once she had a pile, sat down with the greenery in her lap. Garland sat beside her on the uncomfortable rocks, found a more or less comfortable spot, and began to weave the flowers into – ironically enough – garlands.

Seth drifted off to the water’s edge and began trying to skip rocks, sipping latte with one hand and flinging smooth stones into the frothy water with the other. Kyle laughed at him and tried to intercept the stones mid-air, sending them flying wildly off-course.

After a few more moments of weaving, Garland and Mattie distributed the little ringlets of flowers.

“This is a pretty cute thing, I think. He would’ve liked it.” Skylar laughed and carefully took a purple flowered wreath.

Together the teenagers stood at the edge of the ocean and exchanged wistful looks.

First, Garland bent over and let the cool water pull the delicate ring from her fingers. Matilda followed her gracefully; but when it became Seth’s turn, he flicked the flower crown into the water with a Frisbee-like motion. It hit the water with a hiss and was instantly battered by a foamy wave; but somehow kept on floating out. Kyle tried his hardest to beat Seth’s distance, and almost doubled it. His wreath lay in the flat, grey water past the breakers at the shore. At the end of the line, Skylar tamely plopped her wreath into the water alongside the other girls. They spun and played in the waves like little children.

“Bye Jack!” Garland called out to the rapidly disappearing floral wreaths.

A chorus of similar farewells followed this, with Seth’s being “Bye Jack, goodnight sweet prince”

They stood at the shore a little longer and watched until the colourful rings disappeared from sight.

On the long, cold walk home Skylar reflected on what Jack had said in the letter he wrote for her;

“Things may or may not happen for a reason. Maybe this is all just some universal plot to convince humans to treasure their lives, and maybe shit just happens. Maybe I’ll die just because I didn’t apply enough sunscreen or didn’t exercise enough or my cells just stuffed up. But does it matter? I love you, Skylar. I’ll always be with you. Look after yourself and live for me. Be happy and live your life. Don’t have regrets. Let the passage of time take over the rest.”

And through the agony of loss and the hole in her heart, one thing occurred to Skylar;

She wouldn’t take back a thing.

--

Well guys, theres another story finished

I have a surprise coming up, something very different to what I normally write; so follow me and see what the hype's about ;)