Part 17

When Skylar re-emerged it was like someone had kicked Jack in the gut. He struggled valiantly to keep a straight face whilst he struggled for breath.

The blue fabric – he didn’t know what kind – clung to her form in all the right places. She blushed and swirled a little, showing off the flowy loose sleeves and strappy neckline that continued all the way around the back. She was magnificent.

“It s-suits you.” Jack stammered awkwardly. How do you put that beauty into words?

Her face fell like a bird struck from flight.

“Yeah, thanks...”

Jack opened his arms and Skylar sat back on the bed, carefully arranging the skirts around her so they didn’t spoil. Gently she took his hands and twisted her fingers through his. He could feel the hurt and damaged pride radiating from her.

“You don’t like it, do you?” She sounded so disappointed.

Slowly he pulled her closer until her head lay on his chest. He brushed the hair away from her ear and whispered to her;

“I love it. You look absolutely gorgeous.”

“Right.” Her voice was still forlorn.

 Jack took his opportunity to tickle her neck as he knew she hated. Skylar burst into childish giggles and sprung up from her place against his heart, throwing a pillow at him and rolling away. Jack braced himself and sat up to follow her and tickle her ribs. Instantly the birdlike girl was shrieking in laughter and rendered a helpless giggling wreck in her pretty, girly dress. Something in Jack’s heart stirred at the sight of her looking so innocent and happy.

“Stop, stop! Okay, it looks good! I give in!”

“Hmmmm….” Jack pretended to contemplate, his fingertips still rubbing her sides. He climbed weakly up to his knees and crawled so he was right against her writhing form.

“I’m gonna pee!” She managed to screech through the uncontrollable laughter and tried to bat his hands away with shaking hands.

With a victorious smirk Jack relented and put his hands on either side of her waist to steady himself against the uneven surface. His head spun. Woah. When his eyes focused again she was smiling up at him, face glowing, and still laughing a little. Her hair spread out behind her like a silken fan. Skylar’s eyes shone.

“Can you do something for me?” She asked. The smile on her lips changed from excited to nervous in an instant.

“Of course.” Jack said, confused.

“If I say something, can you tell me how the words taste?”

He pursed his lips. Was she mocking him? He couldn’t tell.

“Alright…” Jack responded cautiously.

Skylar took a deep breath.

“I love you, Jack.”

Oh.

What did they taste like?

Summer. They tasted like the warm sun on your back, the cool ocean water lapping at your feet. The sand heated from the sun and the warmth of an embrace. They circled him in a blanket of comfort, reassurance. And suddenly he knew how to answer. It was corny as hell but whatever.

“Like this.”

He leaned forward and kissed her smiling, expectant lips.