xii. where you told and i almost did

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before

-Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

⧔⋯⧕

JACK woke up in a house other than his own the second day in a row. House, not bed, because he had awoken on a couch this time. And on a person.

Somehow, this was a lot worse than yesterday, because this time, he had not only awoken in the house of his enemy, he had woken up on top of his enemy.

If there was a God out there, he'd be laughing his arse off.

Jack made sure to remove himself from his position immediately. The only thing going through his mind whilst he made his way to the kitchen was 'why'.

His only consolation was that Mark would never know.

⧔⋯⧕

Mark woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs. He jumped off the couch and very nearly ran to the kitchen. There, he was greeted with the sight of Jack scrambling some eggs.

"I see you've made yourself at home."

"Top of t'e mornin' to ya too, Merk."

"What?"

"It's a stereotypical way to 'good morning' in Ireland, surprised ya didn't recognise it, wit' all yer Irish stereotypin'."

He ignored the last part, "Well, top of the morning to you, Jack."

Jack smiled at that, something he'd been doing more often when talking to Mark. He liked the Irishman's smile, really, it made him happy that he could make someone feel...well, happy.

His friend served him some food, before sitting down at the breakfast bar with a plate himself.

"So, how'd ya sleep?"

"Pretty well, I had a bit of a nightmare but...it just turned into a dream again after a while. Pretty refreshing. You?"

"I slept well too, thanks. Yer couch is too comfortable, might have t' steal it."

"You Irishmen and your stealing," Mark rolled his eyes. His smile faded, though, once he was reminded of the ever looming threat of Antisepticeye.

"Not all of us are Anti, Merk. Jaysus, yer stereotypes are gettin' offensive."

Mark rolled his eyes, thinking of a witty retort, something like 'well, maybe you should tell him that he should stop robbing banks', but couldn't come up with anything.

"Anyway, how're feelin'?"

"Better, really, your tea helped." He sent Jack a smile, before being interrupted by a phone.

"Sorry, let me just get that..." As soon as Mark saw that it was Felix who was calling him, he went to a different room. He never knew what the Swede might say – or worse, what he might let slip.

"Hey, Felix, what's u–"

"MARK THERE'S THIS GIRL, MARZIA, AND SHE'S REALLY CUTE AND A FAN OF MARKIPLIER AND I TOLD HER I COULD GET HER HIS AUTOGRAPH AND SAID SHE COULD MEET HIM. HELP ME OUT, SUPER BRO!!!"

"...I didn't realise me being a superhero was a way for you to get a girlfriend."

"Well, duh, what other good could come from it?"