Charades

Sighing, Draco chewed his bottom lip and lowered his head, "Naturally, we're refuting Skeeter's article. Harry will..." Draco closed his eyes, "He's going to tell The Quibbler that we're not in any sort of relationship. That it was just..." Draco breathed in shakily, his voice strained as he continued, "... a stupid, drunken mistake. A dalliance. Nothing more. We're teenagers. Its not unheard of."

Harry clenched his jaw and stared out the window, his insides twisting into agonizing knots with each word that Draco uttered. A heavy silence descended in the cavernous classroom; the previous lightheartedness quickly dissipating, replaced by a thick blanket of melancholy.

Pansy pressed her lips together into a thin severe line, her gaze unfocused as she helplessly watched the two boys. Astoria quietly sighed, squeezing Pansy's hand.

"To make everything believable, you need to be seen with someone else, Draco. This is where Astoria comes in. The fact that both of you are supposed to be engaged makes this even more feasible. You need to make sure you're seen together about school and out on dates." Pansy said, her breath coming out in a rush. "And... if you and Potter want our little scam to work, both of you can't be seen together in public. Not at all."

Draco's head jerked up, staring incredulously at Pansy. "You're telling me to pretend to date your girlfriend? Have you finally gone completely mad, Pans?"

Pansy smiled wryly, "Better you than some other bloke. At least I know she's safe with you, yeah? You're about as straight as a rainbow."

"And you're okay with this?" Harry stared at Astoria, wide eyed.

Astoria shrugged, leaning her head against Pansy's shoulder, "I told you, you both have fantastic friends. And since Pansy asked nicely enough..." She waggled her eyebrows suggestively, much to Pansy's chagrin and the two boys' shocked amusement. "Besides, this is a good cover for me too. My family wouldn't exactly be too thrilled if they ever find out that I prefer cauldrons to wands. And I really would like to help. I'm very much rooting for you both. Its just so terribly romantic! You're like the wizarding version of Romeo and Juliet."

Draco looked entirely scandalised, a choked sound catching at the back of his throat. Harry grinned, eyeing the blond mischievously, "Well then, your Highness, I guess that makes you Juliet."

The two girls crowed in raucous laughter as Draco pinned Harry with a venomous glare. He then whirled right around and skewered Astoria with a piercing stare. "If you've been dating Pansy, then why in Salazar's name did you make me believe that you wanted the engagement in the first place?"

Astoria snorted inelegantly, dissolving into another giggling fit, "Oh, Draco, you should've seen your face! I was merely having you on." She pointed at her girlfriend, smirking, "It was Pansy's idea."

Pansy flashed Draco a savage grin, looking very much like a poisonous snake. "I thought you needed a push, darling. It worked out just fine, didn't it?"

"I don't even know why I'm still friends with you." Draco sighed wearily, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Slytherins." Harry murmured in disbelief, shaking his head.

Astoria beamed affectionately at Pansy, rising to her feet, "Well then, since we've finally ironed everything out, I need to get to class." She winked at Draco and purred, "Would you please be a dear and walk me to class, boyfriend."

Pansy giggled, pulling the other girl close, and pressed a tender kiss onto Astoria's smiling lips.

Draco huffed petulantly before responding with as much sarcasm as he could muster, "It would be my pleasure."