Precipice

When you were standing in the wake of devastation.
When you were waiting on the edge of the unknown.
And with the cataclysm raining down, insides crying, 'Save me now!'
You were there impossibly alone.

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation?
You build up hope but failure's all you've known.
Remember all the sadness and frustration.
And let it go...

— Iridescent by Linkin Park

~oOo~

Harry awoke.

He was groggy and disoriented. His throat felt as though he had swallowed dry sand. He stared blankly for a moment, trying to get his bearings. He couldn't recognise where he was nor could he remember exactly why he was there. It wasn't until he heard a muted gasp beside him that some of the haziness dissipated. Frowning in confusion, he turned towards the sound and was met with Ginny's bright, tear-filled eyes.

"Harry! Thank Merlin, you're awake!"

"Gin? What are you—?" Harry trailed off upon noticing that Ginny was wearing her Quidditch kit; her hair a wild disarray around her face.

It was then that realisation hit him like a vicious blow to the head. He jerked to sit up but immediately fell right back down with a breathless grunt. He gingerly touched his pounding head, swallowing mouthfuls of air.

Fuck, everything still hurts.

"Where's Draco?" He rasped out, eyes boring a hole into Ginny's head.

"He's at school, Harry. We had to take you to St. Mungo's." Ginny quickly explained.

Harry gritted teeth and struggled to get up, "I need to go."

"What?! You can't! Harry, lay still!" Flustered, Ginny tried pressing him back down on the bed. "At least, let me get a mediwitch! Mum is outside talking to your Healer. Please just—you'll hurt yourself again if you keep bloody doing that!"

Harry shook his head vehemently, forcibly swinging his legs to the floor. Merlin's saggy arse, but my bones feel loose! "Gin! Just help me find my fucking boots, alright?" He bit out, brushing Ginny's hands away.

The door to Harry's hospital room swung open, admitting four more people—a Healer, Molly Weasley, Ron, and Hermione. They all froze where they stood, staring at Harry, aghast.

Ginny shot them a helpless look before throwing her hands in the air, glaring bloody murder at Harry, "If you weren't already hurt, I would gladly hex you right now, Harry James Potter! So, Merlin help me!" She hissed in exasperation.

"Bloody hell, mate. What are you doing?" Ron exclaimed, stalking into the room.

"What does it bloody look like I'm doing?!" Harry retorted irately, pushing his hair off his face. "I need to get back to school!"

Ron shook his head, mumbling something that sounded very much like 'bloody reckless wanker'.

Hermione snapped out of her stupor and rushed towards Harry, crushing him in a hug that made his just-healed bones rattle. "Oh Harry! Thank goodness you're alright!"