Chapter 3 - Mute

Chapter 3 - Molly's POV

*Wednesday Morning 12/05/14 - Bet: day 1*

I wake up and feel something rough stuck to my face. I pull it off and see that it's the pros and cons list that I made for Ethan last night. I shove the notepad and the list under my pillow so my mom doesn't find it. I must have fallen asleep whilst trying to think of more reasons why I shouldn't pine after Ethan.

I look over at my alarm clock and see that it's 7:45am. Elle will be here in thirty minutes. I quickly run to the shower and wash my body as I already washed my hair last night and I don't have time to do it this morning.

Once I finish my shower I rush over to my wardrobe and pick out a pair of black skinny jeans and a white baggy top. I throw on my black and white converses and put my hair up in a sloppy ponytail. Next I put on a few layers of mascara on my lashes because my eyes look really tired today. I grab my bag and run down stairs to sort my bag out; looking on the side to pick up my lunch bag but it's not there. With a furrowed brow I check the fridge just in case my mum left it in there before she went to work but its not in there either.

Beeepp

Elle's honk lets me know that I need to leave so I don't have time to make myself lunch. I'll just have to buy some lunch at school. I grab an apple from the side for my breakfast and pick up my bag, shooting out the door and locking it behind me.

I climb into Elle's car and I glance at what she's wearing today. She has on a green flowing dress that's cute but still casual enough to wear to school. I see that she is wearing brown leather wedges that are about three inches. I don't know how she drives in them to be honest.

It's no wonder Ethan picked Elle. I mean look at me I'm basically dressed like a boy and Elle looks like something from a magazine. I just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something as daring as that. It would bring too much attention to me and I already have social anxiety, no need to make it worse. I'm better off just keeping my head down and not doing anything that will make me stand out.

The drive to school is pretty quiet and we arrive about fifteen minutes later. I climb out of the car with Elle as we head towards the main entrance.

"Hey why you so quiet today Mol?" Elle questions with a worried look on her face.

"Erhmm, n-noo reason" I stammer. I quickly look down so I don't make eye contact with her otherwise she will know that I'm lying if she doesn't already guess from my stuttering. How am I supposed to confess to her about my 'crush' which is on the guy that just asked her out? She probably wouldn't believe me because I've never shown interest in anyone before let alone one of the most popular boys at school.

Also she knows about some of my fears, the worst being that I don't like people touching me. I'm more allowing of Elle touching me because I have known her for a long time. But that's still limited. I can handle a quick hand brush or squeeze because I'm used to that from her, it's when people grab me when I Ieast expect it that scares me or if it's a stranger touching me. I don't know why I have this fear; it's just that my brain repels everything to do with touch and sets off warning bells. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. I've told her in the past that I wouldn't 'fancy' anyone because I'd feel stupid when I'd have to tell them not to touch me.

I shake my head to get away from the thoughts and put a small gap between Elle and myself. I don't think I can handle her touching me accidentally at this moment when I'm having these thoughts.

"Hellooo, earth to Molly?" Elle sings, waving a hand in front of my face which makes me flinch.

"Y-yeah yeah, I'm fine. I'm just tired. Doing house work and that has worn me out" I lie. I'm not going to tell her that I spent last night making a list of pros and cons about her new 'boyfriend'.