Chapter 18 - One step forwards and three steps back

Chapter 18 - Ren's POV

*Wednesday afternoon 26/05/14 - Bet: Day 15*

I lean against my car, a smoke hanging from my lips not giving a fuck if anyone sees me lighting one up on school premises. I don't like smoking in my car so there's no other place to do it. A cloud of smoke that pushes out from my mouth clouds my vison momentarily, blocking my eyes as they search through the masses of students leaving the main entrance.

Classes finished a few minutes ago and even though I both called and texted Molly she still hasn't answered. I seek out any small figure with a mop of brown hair hoping it might be her. She doesn't know it yet but I've made plans for tonight.

It's been two days since we completed the first fear on the list and that I'd told Molly that I had the next one lined up. Although that wasn't really true when I'd said it. I'd wanted her to feel ready and confident going into the next one and I'd thought what better way to get her pumped than to use the adrenaline that I'm sure she was feeling after holding that spider. But now I've fucked myself over because I don't have anything planned, not even an idea that I could expand on.

How the hell do you help someone get over their fear of thunder and lightning? Surely it's impossible. Luckily I've been able to dodge any probing questions from Molly by dismissing her curiosity and continuing with the 'It's a surprise' notion.

My thoughts are interrupted when I see a familiar head bobbing through the crowd with her head down. I watch her flinch slightly with every other student that saunters past when she thinks that someone is about to make contact with her.

"Molly" I half shout.

I don't want to be too loud and gather everyone's attention knowing that Molly would feel embarrassed. My caution is pointless though as a few heads turn my way, one of them being the girl I have my sights set on. She gives me a quick stare, locating me and then makes her way over. A few people's eyes still linger on me yet they pay no attention to the small body weaving towards me. I wonder how many people actually know her real name or would miss her if she was gone.

When she finally reaches me a shy smile covers her face. I have no clue why she's acting so shy because since Monday we've been getting on like a house on fire. I might go as far as to say that I'm thinking about taking her out on a date.

I'd admit I'm scared to take the risk because I don't want to end up back at square one if she rejects the offer. I remind myself to grow some balls, preferably not the ones that I already have because they seemed to be in hiding when it comes to taking the next step with Molly.

"Hi" she greets bashfully, her hands grip both straps on her new backpack.

"I've been calling and texting but you haven't been answering." I reply, taking one last drag from my cigarette before throwing it to the floor and putting it out with my boot, earning a disgruntled sound from her.

She gets out her phone, unlocking it and a "oh" leaves her mouth when she realises that I've been trying to get a hold of her. I can tell her not answering my calls is genuine by the regretful look on her face.

"Sorry I had it on silent because the vibrating was too loud and I didn't want to get in trouble." She confesses a slight tinge of pink showing on her face.

"Your such a nerd" I tease, stopping the urge of picking up her hair and pulling it playfully. "Well never mind your here now and we're going out" I say matter of fact.

"What do you mean we are going out?" Molly's eyes bore into mine as she slides the phone back into her front pocket.

"I mean that I'm taking you out to go grab a bite to eat."