Prologue|And So We Leave.

(Song of the chapter: "Go On Girl" By Ne-Yo)

Maya's P.O.V. (5 years ago)

             Flashback

"Baby." I turned, fixing my covers. It had been a cold, wet night with all the rain that had been falling and I had early plans tomorrow. 

"Baby, wake up." A hand caressed my cheek and I leaned in to the warmth. "I need you to wake up my love." His voice, smooth as silk, slowly pulled me out of my sleep.

"I'm up." I whined, rubbing my eyes.

"Hi beautiful, how was the sleep?"

  Shacquille sat on my bed, all bloody, cracking a soft smile and I looked at him worried, traces of sleep now long gone.

What is he doing here? And I know my parents didn't let him in. I glanced at the clock; 11:30 pm.

They definitely did not let him in.

"What's going on? How did this happen?" I asked, before rushing into my bathroom for the first aid kit underneath my bathroom sink and coming out with it to dress his wounds.

Maybe he needs stitches. I inspected him; all seemed like superficial wounds aside from a few broken ribs.

"Sit up for me please." I mumbled, softly and he sat up wincing. "Are you going to talk to me?" I wiped the scratches on his face with hydrogen peroxide.

He kept his gaze on me with those beautiful grey eyes and I sucked in a breath. "You're so pretty." He smiled, wincing after I wiped another scratch.

"Thank you baby, but can we talk about why you're at my house at 11:30? Not that I don't miss or want you here. I-"

"I have to go away for a bit." He cut me off and I continued to dress the wounds, trying to keep my face neutral. 

"For how long?" "I don't know angel." He caressed my face and I leaned into his touch.

What happened? Why does he need to go?

"Can I know why?" My curiosity got the best of me. I couldn't help it, not to mention he's been a bit distant lately.

"When I get back princess. Can we just cuddle please? I'm tired." And I finished dressing his cuts and nodded, putting the kit at the foot of my bed. 

I surely won't get any answers tonight, so might as well try to sleep.

"Sure." I clambered into my bed, laying  beside him.

"I love you Maya. And I'll always fight for you. I'll put my life on the line for you."  He kissed my forehead, wrapping his arms around me and closing his eyes.

What does that mean? Was he trying to tell me something?

"Baby?" I said, quietly. "Hmm?" Was his immediate response. I pressed my lips to his and his grip tightened around me. Our teeth clashed in this bruising kiss, his tongue hot and needy as it slips into my mouth.