Eight

"If print journalism is dead, what am I doing here?" Jughead inquired as he leaned against the doorframe of the deserted journalism room, Keegan looked around as he ran his hands through the top of an outdated computer and a build up of dust cov...

"If print journalism is dead, what am I doing here?" Jughead inquired as he leaned against the doorframe of the deserted journalism room, Keegan looked around as he ran his hands through the top of an outdated computer and a build up of dust covered the tip of his finger. Betty put her hands together,"The blue and Gold isn't dead Juggy. It's just dormant, just waking up." She explained to him as she grabbed a napkin and wiped off some of the dust on Keegan's finger,"You're writing a novel right? About Jason Blossom's murder?" Betty inquired as she tentatively watched Jughead toy with a magnifying glass,"I am. Riverdale's very own, in cold blood." He confirmed.

"Which started out as a series of articles!" Betty included,"I'm hoping you can write for the Blue and Gold." She smiled, opening her hands welcomingly. But her smile wavered as she saw Jughead shake his head,"I just don't think the school paper's is fit for my voice." He explained though Keegan grew impatient with all the questions.

"Look, Jughead. We live in a small town, 'The Town with Pep!' This is not only for your benefit, this is for the whole school, we need to know the truth about what happened and why this all happened in a town like ours'." Keegan nodded,"And with your help, maybe this mystery can be solved." He finished with a little click of the tongue. Jughead narrowed his eyes slightly but rolled his shoulders,"Would I get complete freedom?" He now asked,

"I'll help, and edit... And suggest, but it's your story, it's your voice." Betty motioned her hands around to emphasize her point, she turned her head slightly to glance over at Keegan who had seated himself on the edge of a table, he gave her a reassuring smile as he put a hand on her shoulder.

"Doesn't sound like complete freedom, but... I'm in." Jughead said with a little nod as Betty's eyes creased as she grinned from ear to ear, she  bounced slightly at the balls of her feet,"Okay great! Um, in that case I already have your first assignment. There's one person who was at the river on July fourth that no one's talking about." She explained, though Jughead already knew the answer,"Dilton Doiley and his scouts," Jughead nodded as he adjusted his satchel and turned his heels to go. Betty nodded as Keegan smiled slightly,

"You did good Cooper."

"And to you as well Ryland." Betty grinned as she stood at the tips of her toes and wrapped an arm around his shoulder,"Think of this Keeg, we have the paper now, we have a sway on what the students here think. We can find out what really happened on that day." She rambled as Keegan's smile grew a little wider as she continued on,"But enough about this. Help me clean this place up please?" Betty asked as she stood back at her heels and grabbed some rags and two bottles of some cleaning solution, Keegan let out a load groan as he was tossed the two items,

"I walked right into your trap huh?"

"I wouldn't say trap Keeg, more like- a friendly solid for a best friend in need." Betty answered with a little chuckle as she bumped him over to a dusty table,"You're so lucky that I don't leave my best friend hanging." He snickered as he began to wipe the dust-filled desk, Betty's lips tugged itself a little smile she nodded as she continued to clean her side of the office,"Yeah, maybe I am lucky."

❰•••❱

    The rest of the day seemed like a blur as eventually Veronica had left the group to get ready for her date with Chuck, and Archie had gone home to do whatever it is he needed to do. The remaining three friends had gone over to Betty's house, as Betty entered the home her mother instantly looked up from her laptop, she was laid out in the living room recliner,"Betty, finally you're...Oh, and you've brought Jared's kid?" She rose an eyebrow as she saw Kevin and Keegan slowly enter right behind her,"Mom...." Betty hissed warningly, The two boys smiled smiled politely,"Good evening Mrs.Cooper," They both said in unison as Mrs.Cooper gave a little nod,"Good evening to you too Keegan and Kevin."

   There was a little pause as Betty proceeded to take the hands of her friends to evade a barrage of questions by Alice about their private lives,"I'm sorry about my mom, she loves to probe my friends a little, too much-" Kevin shook his head,"If I get asked another question regarding Moose or Reggie I would yank all the hairs on my head out." Kevin finished.

"I think your mom is, alright with me" Keegan said as Betty let go of their hands to let hem through to her bedroom, Kevin went to his usual spot at the bed whilst Keegan sat on the edge of the bed. A little smile pulled at his lips as Betty ran a hand through his hair,"She thinks all guys are putting up an act to hide heir true 'evil' intentions." Betty explained as she grabbed a little bottle of perfume, Kevin quickly scrambled over to the edge of the bed,"Woah there, is this perfume new? Why haven't I seen this little beauty?" Kevin asked quickly,"She doesn't treat me like she treats Archie though, that's better right?" Keegan questioned,"Well, it's a little different between you and Archie..." Betty answered once more, trying not to sound disparaging over their relationship,

"Oh...Yeah, you're right. I should've thought of that." Keegan countenance slowly turning into a frown, he held his tongue for a while as he watched Betty spray on the perfume on Kevin's wrist and let him take in the lavender-like aroma. The pair conversed about the possible uses of the perfume- most of them pertaining to nabbing Archie's attention, Keegan was left out once again, but he guessed he shouldn't mind, Betty likes Archie. And although it hurts him to think about it, there's a little spark of hope that maybe he has a chance to be with the girl next door.

I'm so sorry that it took this long to update, having exams, soccer practice and in general school work has taken up most, of not all of my free time. But, thank you readers for sticking with this story, I hope you won't mind having infrequent updates, but I promise I will do my best to get some writing done.