Ten

Geraldine Grundy was at Sweetwater River

    Geraldine Grundy was at Sweetwater River. And worry seemed to boil into The Girl Next Door's stomach, could her best friend really be capable of having a forbidden affair? Dilton kept toying with the end of his button-up, watching as only two of trio before him exchanged worried looks, the beanie wearing boy grimacing at the possible outcomes of the revelation; Betty's eyes slowly looking down- her mossy green eyes focusing on the outline of Keegan's worn down shoes. Dilton took his que as tension decided to lay down a heavy blanket upon them.

Keegan ran a hand through his hair, messing it up ever so slightly as he gave out a little yawn escape his lips. Jughead went straight away to his laptop, fingers flying towards the keyboard and his furious clacking of keys had begun; Betty shook her head shortly after and craned her neck to turn over to the taller blonde, as he slowly glanced over to meet their eyes. The two smiled slightly as Betty came to usher him out of the office as she didn't want to disturb Jughead,"We'll leave you to it Juggie," Betty informed the teen as he gave a curt nod.

Keegan gave Jughead a smile goodbye as he closed the door behind him, back at the hustle and bustle of students flooding their way out of Riverdale High; Keegan pushed past the crowds letting out multiple apologies to those he would push and shove as he mowed through,"Sorry- Ah, Sorry! Sorry!" He grimaced as Betty's hand rested on his shoulder as she let him lead her off to the lockers, as she too let out a few apologies to the people who she accidentally stepped on as they through the current. As soon as the two made it out they went to their lockers to fish out their bearings, Betty shouldering her bag and going straight for her phone,"Mmmm, what are you doing?" Keegan hummed as he sent a text to his younger sister to meet him up,"Texting Veronica and Kevin, maybe have a meet up over at Pop's to study," She said as she closed her locker,"I'm sure Caroline would like to come too." She added shortly after as Keegan started up walking again,

Veronica had already agreed to go, as she headed over to the lounge as their meeting place,"Hello fellow diner goers," She said aloud as already three of the five members have arrived, Caroline offering the raven haired girl a little smile as she sat with her older brother as he was scribbling on what seemed to be homework; Betty waved as she stood up to give her a brief hug,"Did you see Kevin on the way here?" She questioned as she pulled away and glanced over the shorter girls shoulder,"Yeah- he was just heading out to his locker-" She paused when buzz shot up between their phones. It was Kevin texting the group chat,

"Hey guys I'll just meet up with you guys there!" It read,"Well alright then, let's go." Betty announced as she patted Keegan's shoulder lightly to put him out of his trance, he jolted slightly and looked up with a cocked eyebrow,"C'mon." She repeated with a little snicker. Caroline nodded as she grabbed her supplies and placed it into her bag. Veronica joining the youngest of the group just to talk, Keegan rolled his eyes with a smile tugging on his lips,"So, are you gonna buy me a milkshake and french fries too?" He asked Betty as he slowly got up from the worn down sofa and let out a little stretch.

"Yeah, yeah, take my hand and let's get out of here." Betty instructed as she began to trail behind Veronica and Caroline.

Keegan could've sworn that heart dropped.

❰•••❱

    A little while later, Jughead came to the diner practically fuming at seemingly no reason; Caroline looked over at the beanie wearing teen,"Greetings and salutations." He grumbled as he seated himself at the edge of Betty and Kevin's side of the booth,"Since when did Jughead salutations?" Kevin questioned as he carefully slid a burger into his direction. The raven haired girls attention quickly transitioning to the commotion,"The Starlight Drive-in. That's what." Jughead grumbled angrily as he took a ungodly bite at his burger," the teens rose an eyebrow, wondering how Jughead connected saying salutations to the Starlight Drive-in,"They're closing it down, the last nail in the coffin that is Riverdale. No- forget that, the last coffin in the American Dream." Jughead said in a slightly hysteric tone, Kevin sighed as he put his head on his palm listening to his venting until he tried to quote Quentin Tarantino; he stopped him there whilst the others mentally thanked him for not elevating the situation even higher.

But Jughead went against to fine about his frustrations, leading to Keegan zoning out. His head in the clouds as he would look at Betty here and there as he had sat across from her next to Veronica, he was kept daydreaming until he was nudged in the ribs,"Huh?" He rose an eyebrow, Veronica used her chin to point towards Betty who seemingly had gone off towards the Andrews and surprisingly enough- Grundy. Jughead smugly flustered as he tried Betty to come back, Caroline and Kevin just watching as they had watched Betty approach the trio and began to exchange words; shortly after Archie and Betty had gone out of the diner. All four teens craning their necks to see out the window, their eyes trained on the redhead and the blonde. "What's happening out there? Do we know? Is it about me?" Veronica piped up, probing the group with her questions. Jughead slumped in his seat a little deeper,"No, but I do have an inkling. And no, it isn't. And if I were you, I'd let it go" He replied as he shoved some fries into his mouth.

"Ah, yes, but you're you, and I am me." Veronica flashed a smile simply, "Excuse me Keeg-ins." She said as he had hastily gone out for her, "Thank you." She said as she patted his cheek and quickly walked out of the diner, rejoining Archie and Betty who seemed to have a heated argument. "At least this burger can't disappoint me," Jughead piped up as Kevin scoffed whilst the siblings snickered slightly,"Jughead and his precious burgers," Kevin rolled his eyes trying to lighten up the mood,"Doesn't it ever get old to you Juggie?" Caroline questioned with a light chuckle,"Of course it doesn't get old Caroline, it's a prized burger. Nothing short of it, nothing can take its place right here." He said sarcastically patting his belly, purposely making it bulge a little bit. Keegan found himself snickering watching the antics of the hungry teen, Kevin merely tried to play it off the smile tugging at his lips as Caroline rolled her eyes,"Whatever you say." She said.

The group chatted quietly, awaiting the return of Veronica, Betty, and Archie. Keegan twiddling with the straw of his root beer eyeing the entrance of the cozy diner only to find Veronica and Archie entering in, their expressions blank; Once Kevin had laid his eyes and the two He rose an eyebrow,"Hey where's Betty?" He piped up as soon as the two were in earshot, Jughead eyeing a familiar care drive off,"She....Had to go, her mom needed her." Archie answered with a slow nod of the head, Veronica nodding curtly as she flattened her skit a little more before sliding beside Keegan once more,"Yeah, But Of course, we can still hang out a little longer," She suggested, and of course nobody seemed to disagree.

❰•••❱

The next day things seemed to have calmed down with Betty as she sat in the Blue and Gold office as she smiled at Keegan, explaining to him that she just had a run in with her mom so she had to leave early, leaving out the details of Archie and Grundy's little meeting at Sweetwater river,"Yeah, it's alright Betts," The teen agreed with a little smile on his face, moving some hair away from his eyes, Betty sighed,"Yeah, I know...I just don't want to leave you hanging out," She said, her stomach bubbling with guilt she hated it when she had to keep secrets away from Keegan, but she felt if it was best she held it a little while longer. It'd be a little stretch if the truth. It shouldn't be hard right?

"Betty, you don't have to best yourself up about it, we all know how your mom is...And her opinion of most of us." Keegan chided. Betty fiddling with her pony tail as she sighed letting go of it as soon as she had seen the teen sliding over from the edge of her table. Betty opened her mouth to say something but she quickly cut herself off, standing up abruptly and grabbing her notebook,"I really need to go, I forgot I have a meeting with Grundy today- with the spotlighting teachers." She told Keegan hurriedly who quickly got off her desk to help her retrieve her other belongings,"Yeah- Alright, do you want me to come with?" He offered as Betty shook his head,"Sorry- I'd prefer to do it alone this time, but thanks for offering." Betty said as she wrapped her full arms around Keegan, giving him a light squeeze as he nodded,"I'll see your fourth period okay?" He smiled as he waved, watching her head out shortly after she pulled away.