Twenty-Seven

Keegan stood stiffly, trying his best to contain the rapid beating in his chest

Keegan stood stiffly, trying his best to contain the rapid beating in his chest. He mentally thanked the girl for moving her head, not wanting to alarm the girl any more than she already was. Her head perched on his shoulder as she took one last shaken breath.

Once Betty's crying had diminished to hiccups, she still tightly held onto him in fear that if she had let him go their friendship would fall apart alongside her parent's relationship. She had already lost a lot in a couple of months, and losing a friend like Keegan was something she could not afford.

"Why don't we stay here a little while to keep your mind off things for a little, then we can meet up with Ronnie and the others later?" Keegan suggested, patting her back gently as his other hand reached over to take a box of Kleenex behind the girl. He slowly pulled away to let her take as many tissues she needed to wipe away her tears, "Yeah... I just need some time to get myself together." Betty agreed meekly as she held onto him with one arm, detaching herself enough to take a tissue.

The blonde-haired girl looked up slightly to attempt to seep her tears back into her eyes. She knew well that doing this would result in no real progress to clean herself up, but doing so would still give her a semblance of control around her.

Keegan bit the insides of his cheeks warily, he looked down a bit to check on Betty. His eyes were met with Betty's green ones.

It was always enthralling to decipher what emotions lay behind Betty's green eyes, Keegan swore that if he looked for too long that he could get lost. She held plenty of emotions underneath her well-put exterior, and luckily enough, Betty was comfortable enough to allow him to see her in a time of vulnerability. The pair of blondes gave each other a small smile, the two hesitantly pulled away once they realized how close they had been in each other's arms.

Betty dabbed away the remaining tears on her face, giving her friend a weak chuckle. "I'm sorry about your shirt Keegan." She apologized sheepishly. Keegan knew that the girl only wanted to lighten the mood, she hated it when her emotions would get the best of her. So she would try to change the focus from her outburst of emotions to something of less importance. Nonetheless, he played along to ensure that she would feel better by the time they would meet up with their friends.

"It's alright Betty, no worries," Keegan assured Betty, offering her a half-smile as he took a seat on the desk he previously sat on. The male leaned over to take Betty's backpack, he set it beside himself to bring out her water bottle to hand to her. The blonde-haired girl murmured a small thanks, bringing the container to her lips to drink.

Keegan bounced his leg quietly, his eyes flitted around the room. They stopped once he caught of Jughead's murder board, a mix newspaper clippings, maps, and pictures scattered the whiteboard. At the moment, there were only a couple of people that Betty and the others had narrowed down as suspects; However, with the information that Keegan had presented about Clifford talking with a Southside Serpent, a cloud of suspicion hung over the Blossom family.