0.04

0.04 - Saturday 12:35 p.m.

Rhys Wyer

"Stop being a fucking spaz and chill out," Jules says, narrowing his eyes at me. My hand freezes midway through my hair. I let it drop into my lap.

"Sorry," I say. My eyes try to wander around but I force them to stay put on my half-eaten burger. Jules sighs.

"Is Beverly planning to murder you? Is that why you keep looking around like that?" Jules asks. I roll my eyes.

After a few awkwardly silent minutes of my fingers tapping the edge of the table, dispersed with glares from Jules, I finally blurt out the question that had been nagging me since I saw that photo. "Do you think Mav is gay?" I ask.

Jules's brow creases. "How the fuck would I know?" he asks.

"Just answer the question."

Jules mutters something and scratches at his pale blond hair. "Yes? No? Fuck, who knows. Why do you care?"

"He's—shit, Jules, I've known him since I was four. I feel like I should know this," I say. My mind sifts through memories, trying to remember any blatant signs that I might have missed.

"You're overreacting. He was probably drunk or something," Jules says. "Let's go. Their practice is already done."

Jules stands up, stretching and yawning. I leave the rest of my burger on the table and follow him out of the diner.

***

"They're in the locker rooms," Jules says, getting out of the Uber. I slide across the seats and out the door after him.

As we walk around the grass field, I can't help but notice the shortness of my breath, and I wonder why I'm getting so worked up about this. The photo shouldn't bother me. Maverick can do what he wants. But the possibility that Maverick wasn't just drunk, that he wasn't trying to be funny, makes my heart thump painfully in my chest.

The locker room building looms into view, and we duck through the dark doorway. I can hear voices and laughter, and immediately know which one is Mav.

"Dude, we're gonna kill Bonita Vista and Sweetwater this season," Maverick says. "Hunter, can you pass me that towel?"

"Sure man," Hunter replies. There's a scuffle, and by the time we round the corner into the main area of the locker room, Maverick is bent over his bag, his blonde hair dripping wet, and a white towel wrapped around his waist.

"Look who it is!" Alex shouts, hugging Jules. Maverick pulls out a black shirt and turns around, his eyes widening slightly when they land on me. I nod at him, to which his brows knit in confusion.

"Holy shit," Tristan says from the corner. We all look to where he is sitting, smiling at his phone like he just won the lottery. "Lauren's having a kickback at her place."

"Lauren, like Mav's Lauren?" Hunter asks. Tristan nods.

"She's not mine, guys," Maverick says. His eyes dart towards me, and we make eye contact for a brief moment before I look away.

"She's so hot. I'd hit that," Alex says.

"Already have," Jules mentions proudly. Alex scowls at him. I look at Maverick, gouging his reaction, but his vague, distant smile doesn't give anything away.

"Can we leave? It smells in here," I say. Jules nods in agreement, and Alex walks out with him. Hunter and Tristan go next, and I'm about to follow when Maverick calls my name. My body goes still, and I walk back inside. Maverick is zipping up his pants as I stand in front of him. He dries his hair violently with the white towel, making strands of hair stick up messily.

"What's up?" I ask. Maverick slings his bag over his shoulder, raking a hand through his hair and flattening the disarray.

"You coming tonight?" he asks.

"Why wouldn't I?" I reply. Maverick looks at me quizzically, and if I'm reading his face correctly, also annoyed.

"I thought you were hanging out with Beverly," he says.

"We are. At Lauren's." Maverick goes quiet, and we start walking towards the exit side by side. "Is that a problem?" I ask.

Maverick glances to me with raised eyebrows, a shadow of something unidentifiable passing over his face, before smiling so naturally, I almost believe it's real. "No, dude, not at all."

We walk into the light, but all I can think about are the dark clouds in Maverick's eyes.