0.08

0.08 - Sunday 11:48 a.m.

Rhys Wyer

"Oh boys you two are just adorable." A groan escapes my mouth, and I twist around.

"Fuck," I say when a sharp pain shoots down my neck.

"Language, young man," Mav's mom, Cameron, says, but her tone is playful. I sit up, stretching out my back, which is painfully stiff from the uncomfortable position I slept in. Finally I open my eyes, blinking at the bright light pouring through large windows.

"What time is it?" I ask groggily.

"Almost midday," Cameron says. Across from me, Mav is curled on the edge of the couch, one arm dangling over the side. "Wake him up, will you?"

"Yes ma'am," I say, scooting closer to Mav's limp body. I reach out and gently shake the sleeve of his sweatshirt. "Wake up!"

Mav makes a startled noise in the back of his throat before looking around wildly. "W-what's happening?"

"I'm making lunch sweetheart!" Cameron says from the kitchen.

"Good. I'm starving," Mav says. He sits up and with two hands violently messes up his hair, causing strands of his blonde hair to stick out. My hand automatically shoots out to smooth down the chaos, and Mav's neck flushes red.

"What are you boys doing today?" Cameron asks. I glance to Mav but he's gone completely still.

"Um...we'll probably hang out with Jules. Maybe walk Main Street," I say, glancing pleadingly to Mav.

"Do you boys need a ride there?" Cameron asks.

"It's fine, we'll just get an Uber," I say, "right Mav?" Beside me Mav comes back to life.

"Yeah, mom, we're fine," Mav says quickly, then without looking at me, "come on, I need to put some clothes on." That's when I notice he's only in boxers. How the fuck did I not notice last night? Whatever. It doesn't matter. Doesn't it?

My head must be messed up, or maybe I'm just tired. I follow Mav upstairs anyway, waving to Cameron as we pass by the kitchen. With Mav in front of me it's hard not to travel my gaze down his back, the muscles working over his shoulder blades, and settling on the dimples at the base of his spine.

Mav looks over his shoulder with a raised eyebrow, as if he knew I was looking.

"It's incredible how pale you are," I say as justification.

"You're one to talk," Mav shoots back with a scoff. I shove his back with a grin, and Mav stumbles onto the landing. "Do you want to start this?" Mav asks with a challenging glint in his eyes. From two steps above he looks more intimidating than usual.

"Nah I'm good," I say, barely containing a nervous laugh.

"Thought so," Mav says. He turns around and when I'm sure he's not expecting it I leap the last steps and shove him again, this time managing to knock him forward and to the ground. I can only celebrate for a moment because Mav immediately twists around and lunges for me.

His arms wrap around my knees and I fall to the ground, his body toppling on top of mine. I struggle to get a grip on his arms and before I know it my wrists are pinned down on either side of me. Our chests rise and fall in unison, and I catch myself staring at his bare abdomen, and the pale, golden hairs that pepper his skin.

He releases my arms.

"Soccer boy," Mav says.

"Hey, I weight lift too! Soccer isn't just about the legs," I argue. Mav pretends to contemplate this, then shakes his head, standing up.