0.27

0.27 - Saturday 8:46 p.m.

Rhys Wyer

"Oh my god. Okay. Oh my god," Maverick's mother, Cameron, says. She looks at us like we're aliens knocking on her door asking for permission to use her toilet.

"Mom," Mav says tightly.

"You guys...your date...was with Rhys?" Cameron takes a deep breath, closing her eyes. She walks down the stairs. When she starts walking towards us, she plasters on a smile.

"Rhys, honey," she says, looking somewhere near the top of my head, "why don't you go on home. It's not too late to drive. I need to talk to Maverick. In private."

"I...I don't have my car," I say. Her smile falters, and she takes another breath.

"Okay, why don't you go up to Maverick's room and wait for a bit," she says.

I look to Maverick. He gives me a defeated nod, and I go up to his room.

The lights are off when I enter. Memories rush through─

fingertips trailing down my spine

hot lips ghosting my neck

intense, spiralling pleasure like a gunshot in the dark sky

Then I hear their voices downstairs. Cameron is trying not to shout and Maverick doesn't seem to care. I walk quietly over to the door, slowly turning the handle and opening the door just enough so I can understand what they're saying.

"...he's your best friend, Maverick. And if you keep this up you're going to lose that. For what? To figure out if you like boys or girls?"

"For the last time, mother, I like both! I've already figured it out. Rhys isn't some experiment. I like fucking girls and boys."

"Maverick! Watch your language," Cameron snaps, "I am only trying to warn you that this isn't going to end well. You have known each other since you were four. Messing with his emotions like this will ruin your friendship."

"Messing with his─Rhys feels the same way about me! He's my boyfriend, mom, not someone I'm stringing along. Why are you so against this?"

"Because I'm afraid you'll get hurt!" she yells, her chest heaving like she just sprinted around the block. "Because I thought I knew who you were and now everything's changed. Because I feel like a bad mother because I didn't know before."

"Mom, I'm still myself. Actually, I'm more myself. I haven't changed, I'm just...open. This really has nothing to do with you. Don't cry, mom, this isn't your fault. I don't blame you for anything. Please, just..." Mav trails off with a sigh. I hear his mom hiccup and hold back a sob.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. I just need some time to...to make sense of it. I still love you. You know that right? I would never stop loving you, no matter what," she says, and Maverick mutters a reply that sounds like I love you too and now they must be hugging, because it's silent except for the occasional exhale from Cameron.

"Can I go to my room now?" Maverick asks, his voice muffled. Definitely hugging.

"Yes," his mother says, giving in, "but now you have to leave the door open!"

"Fine," Mav says, the stairs creaking with his footsteps.

"And you have to sleep on the floor. I'll go get you a mattress."

Mav's footsteps get louder and I take a few steps back, but he opens the door and immediately realizes I was snooping. He smirks, but I can tell the conversation with his mom completely drained him.