0.26

0.26 - Saturday 5:59 p.m.

Maverick Bale

I adjust the neckline of my sweater, wishing the night would get colder so I wouldn't feel so hot. My fingers shake as I text Rhys that I'm outside.

Why am I so nervous? I've asked myself this question all day. It's not like I haven't spent time with Rhys before, but this seems different. Not to mention that we're boyfriends now. Boyfriends. The word is always casually tossed around, but I don't think most of us really know what it means.

The door opens. Rhys steps out, grey button-down tucked into dark jeans. He looks up and smiles, a soft, unsure curl of his lips that takes my breath away. I didn't know that could still happen.

"Hey," Rhys says when I stay quiet.

"Ready?" I ask, and Rhys nods, and I let loose a breath in relief. We walk side by side to the sidewalk. "I ordered an Uber. It should get here in a few minutes."

Rhys nods. Silence falls. We haven't been this awkward since our brief fight. I clear my throat, trying to think of something to say.

"I...I─the Uber's here," I finish lamely, pointing to the small black Prius rolling up the street. Rhys jerks his head in a nod and we both start toward the door at the same time, and then stutter to a stop.

"You first," I say, stepping back with a smirk. Rhys flushes pink and flips me off.

The Uber ride flies by in silence, both of us staring out the window. Should I try to hold his hand? It's laying right beside his leg, but is it just me, or is the Uber driver glancing up to his rearview mirror a lot?

I should probably say something about where we're going, but the Uber pulls to a stop before I can speak. I get out, then wait for Rhys to follow. The Uber drives off, leaving us in front of a well-known Italian restaurant. It's not too formal, but nice enough that most families like to have dinner here for birthdays and other celebrations. At Hilltop it's a go-to for first dates.

I walk up to the front door, palms sweating. My whole face feels hot, and it's like my body has lost all coordination. Maybe this is a side effect from my concussion?

Rhys follows after me, quiet and tentative, taking unsure footsteps a pace after mine. I've reserved a table, so I just say my name at the reception desk. The hostess, a young woman with glasses and a bright smile, ushers us to a small booth in the corner of the restaurant. We take our seats and grab the menus. I pretend to look over the options even though I already know what I want to order. Rhys does the same.

I should probably start the conversation. I mean, I was the one who asked him out on a date, so I should put in the effort to make him feel comfortable. Fuck, I hate this dating shit.

"So—" I start, just as Rhys says, "How—"

We both laugh awkwardly. I take the opportunity to force Rhys to start the conversation. "You first," I say. Rhys blushes, and I think that maybe this won't be so bad.

"I was just wondering if you came out to your family," Rhys says. Oh. Rhys had texted me earlier telling me that he came out to everyone and that it was mostly fine, especially with his mom. That's basically code for, it's as good as it can be given that their son is gay. I didn't bother texting Rhys how it went with my family. I guess I never told him that I came out in the first place. No time like the present, right?

"Yeah, I did," I say.

"How did it go?" Rhys asks hesitantly, like he isn't sure if I want to be asked about it.